Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gard's gotta new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gard, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Due to my increasing panic attacks over traveling abroad with my beloved Guitar Factory basses this summer, I decided to get a road bass. Here 'tis, a Bogart 5 fretless :D :

http://www.basscentral.com/bass/bog5wt.jpg

Plays and sounds killer, just looks a bit odd....;)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think "killer" sort of describes it, as Gard said. (Would he buy one that he describes as "lame"?). ;)

Congrats, Gard!!! I was always interested in Bogarts because I mistakenly thought, at first, that one of my bass heroes, Time BogErt, was involved. Then, I found out he has owns a Bogart, so they've kept my interest.

Can it be civilized enough for Tito Jr. yet still get brutal enough for your "darker side" when you dig in?

3. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I dont think it looks to odd.

4. eep.. didn't see that part =X hehe thx for pointing it out!

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Indeed, KILLER is the word to describe it. :) And no, if it sucked it would just stay on the wall at BC.

Interesting bass, has tuners like a Stienberger - at the body end - but uses these odd little guitar tuner lookin' gizmos for locking the strings at the "headstock", which is tiny compared to a "normal" headstock. Bartolini humbuckers and an NTMB preamp round out the stuff on the bass.

As I've mentioned before, Tito doesn't really have what I'd call a civilized attitude to music live. He's actually a bit of a metal-head. He likes it aggressive live, no matter what it sounds like on the CD. You otta see him egging the band on onstage, it's a riot. He'll love the aggresive tone of this bass, I'm sure of it. As for the more ballady stuff and his dad's stuff, well, I'll have the NS EUB :).

6. Very nice. I've heard those are great basses. I'm bettin' you'll enjoy it.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey Gard, if you're gonna be mixing an EUB and a BG into the same rig, you'll need one of those Raven Labs MDB-1's we talked about, for sure. I've owned one before and stupidly sold it when I had a momentary lack of need for it. Here I am less than 3 months later getting another.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice, Gard! Enjoy the new fretless!:)

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nice ax, Gard. I have a new-found appreciation for German basses...I'd bet that Bogart sounds similar to my Clover and plays like a dream.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Thanks to everyone for the congrats! :D

mchildree, yeah I know I'm likely to need that mixer, we've got a couple coming in (unless they're already in and one's on the way to you). I'm gonna check out the difference in volume between the two at our rehearsal studio as soon as it comes in. If I need it, well, I'll get it. I've been using a Whirlwind A/B box for switching between fretted and fretless onstage, and since I never use the fretted....I'm hoping that it's close enough in volume to just use the A/B box.

Brad, yeah it plays itself, and sounds real good. Just gotta get used to that whole "graphite sound" and adjust for it, y'know.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Cool looking axe, Gard. congrats!

...what are those thingies on the bridge? Double ball end tuners?

Will C.:cool:

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I know this is gonna be incorrect, but this is my opinion on what it sounds like...

A larger bodied ric with EMG's gold knobs, and some sort of narrow neck, an ibanez-like headstock, but with 5 in a row... (I can't see the headstock very well)

It looks like a nice bass though... :)

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    C-Eye... :confused:...?

Anyway, congrats Gard! Its no Zon, but...:D

14. Good on yer, Gard! I'll check it out when I come through next year! Regards, Marty.

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Gard, I don't think you'll find it hard at all to adjust to the graphite. In fact, in the context you'll be using it (traveling, varying climate, larger venues), I think you'll find it's just the ticket. I loved the way my Modulii cut through and had lots of definition in the low mids in a larger, boomier room or outdoors...in the same situation, my all wood basses got lost or muddied everything up.

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Nice bass Gard!!
    I never have played one but it sure looks sweet!!!!

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    my bad, sorry... I meant "looks like"