Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Garrison Acoustic Guitars

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Our guitarist bought a Garrison A/E recently. I have to say I am really impressed with the warmth of this guitar. These are excellent quality guitars at reasonable prices. Come to find out that all the bracing is composite. He tells me they are somehow connected with Seagull (anyone verify?) I know they are made in Canada.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    When my Acoustic guitar eventually dies, I'm going to get a Garrison G30.

I worked briefly for the company that imports Garrison into Australia. They do indeed sound good. That bracing system is ingenious. Every acoustic guitar needs bracing, but traditional techniques cause tone to suffer with every additional piece of wooden bracing. The composite stuff (GABS as they call it) is very strong and doesn't seem to take away the tone at all.

No connection with Seagull other than they are both nice guitars. Seagull are the competition.

As with anything, the early models had some teething problems, so stay away from those. But Garrison to their credit were on to it and seem to have sorted them out now. Oh and the Asian made budget line (which only uses half GABS) are very new and should probably be avoided for a while.......

To hear Garrison's in action, check out some tunes from Alex Lloyd, or go watch Pete Murray or Mark Lizotte (Johnny Diesel) in concert. They're all Garrison endorsees and they all rave about them.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    IIRC, Garrisons are made on the east coast -- I want to say Newfoundland, but I'm not sure.

The store I take lessons at stocks a reasonable supply of Garrisons at all times. This thread kinda makes me want to check 'em out :D. How much does a Garrison go for? It'll be a little while before I can get to the store.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My friend paid around 550.00 (usd) for an A/E cutaway. It has the standard Fishman preamp/pickup system. My local store has really nice non electric models that run 275 to 400.00. I wonder if they make an A/E bass?

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No they don't do basses.

I've never heard of the A/E series? The Asian made models I spoke of earlier were given the A/G designation. Maybe A/E's are A/G's with the bugs ironed out? If that's the case, you guys haven't heard the Canadian models yet, so the best is yet to come.