Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Garry Tallent - E Street Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by clayton, Jan 20, 2006.

1. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    So, I've been listening to some Bruce Springsteen records with the E-Street Band and I realized just how good the bass player is.

He plays very solid and supportive lines and his tone is just incredible.

Just thought it be cool to give the guy some recognition here on the boards, since he never gets mentioned.:bassist:

2. Gary is a stellar player and has been for quite some time. Unfortunately, the E Streeters didn't make the Hall of Fame (Like Bruce did) because they weren't credited on like the first two albums even though its been the same band. That's rubbish for they deserve to be in there.

Speaking of those first two albums, (especially The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle which just has some INCREDIBLE work on it from ALL the musicians...Kitty's Back in Town and the E Street Shuffle, are you KIDDING me?!) Gary has a very subtle yet sophisticated style and is the definition of how a bassist should act onstage and off.

Gary said himself that the group should have quit after Darkness on the Edge of Town because it was just getting too much (Bruce's popularity as you probably know SKYROCKETED in 1984 with the Born in the USA album. That and subsequent albums are subpar IMO. But those records from '73-'82 were incredible contributions to rock and roll to say the least.

EDIT: Gary said the magic was over after The River...and NOT Darkness like I incorrectly stated.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Solid bassplayer in a great band.
    The sum is greater than the parts?

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A big + 1...I'm a longtime fan. I recently got the DVD of a show from 1975, and Gary and the band just smoke!!!! They do a version of Kittys Back that is just sick! The E Street Band is one of the best all time rock & roll bands IMHO. I watched the concert and realized they still have all the same members as thirty years ago with the addition of Patti & Nils, no ODs or deaths......that in itself is pretty amazing in rock.
    Gary's Dano tone on the DVD is suberb, and his slippery & supportive bass lines are perfect for the songs.
    I keep meaning to post about Gary, thanks for the reminder!!!;)

5. +1 That DVD is part of the 30th anniversary Born to Run boxed set. Amazing. I had the honor of seeing Bruce in 1973 in the 'pre E Street band' days (which I think was his best... the Rosalita stuff). The band sounded absolutely amazing. That 75 performance really captures the Bruce vibe... wonderful.

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I just found this old thread.

AFAIK, In 1993 Garry said that the band should have stopped after Born In The USA.

You guys can check my website if you want to know more about Garry:

Garry's Corner

7. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Fran,
    Great website, think this guy is very underrated in Rock circles...probably due to the fact that although he's very supportive & melodic, it doesn't tend to overpower anything he contributes to.

It sits just right with the composition, especially as Springsteen's works (in my opinion) don't tend to conform to typical Rock song formula.

Have Bass Player ever done a feature on him? (apologies regular TB'ers if they already have done, I don't always get to see a copy nowadays!!)

Cheers,
    Essexbass.

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist

He's been featured several times in BP. But he's never been on the cover. I know that my opinion is not very objetive, but I think that he deserves it.