1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gary Brown Flora purim bass player Jamil Joanes Rita Lee

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aram Martinez G, Jan 3, 2020.

1. i think Gary Brown its an excellent bass player and i ll know what bass is that, also i like so much rita lee bass player Jamil Joanes, songs like caso serio, lanza perfume, baila conmigo, are hits of rita with the best in bass also i think the same of multiple albums of flora purim, i can mention HUMBLE PEOPLE of Airto and Flora, the song named HUMBLE PEOPLE have or its almost a bass solo, i think its the same bass used in that live ohne filter.
    i would also like to know what bass Jamil Joanes used on that 3 songs, i think its a musicman another times fender 70s, also know what is John Peñas bass lol.
    Tom Kennedy, i like so much also with Bill Connors, i know are fodera his basses, setting aside brands, i wish know how types of woods, pick ups, and preamps, i think the alembic SF-2 its something like the best, or wal or alembic onboard preamps, also i like so much progressive stuff, sofistipop, dreampop, the sundays, prefab sprout, new wave, im searching the sound, and the vibe of the instrument, i think im some limited living in mexico, and my questions maybe are dumb, but, i dont have access to very nice basses, i like my RB corvette act 4, i had a 5 passive and are fixing, also i will ask how much the action of a RB can down, or if i need another bass, i see Gary Brown do very funky slaps really near of bridge and idk if they hands are so powerful or if is his bass so sensitive and wonderful able to do that, THANKS ! ! !
    once i had MM bongo 5 and really sucks, i loved my trace elliot ah600smx, and all the rockbasses i had/ 2 and the one i have, i have the hardware of the corvette 5 and trying fixng, but if dont worth for the limitation of the action, thats my questions, thanks again ! !

2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Some of my favorite shows from back in the day were Flora Purim/Airto ones. Especially one at the Bottom Line. The albums she did on the Milestone label with Alphonso Johnson and Byron Miller are classics.

nbsipics and Aram Martinez G like this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I saw Gary a few years ago with Flora!

Aram Martinez G likes this.
  4. in NYC? aside from flora what more do you like in that time, live? im very versatile, but i found on MPB really good tastes on bass players/playing
    about rita lee this bass sound its a musicman?
    how Gary do the slap near bridge?
    how can i obtain SF-2 alembic sound without all price? lol
    i installed a pair of yibuy in my avatar RB corvette 5, and let pair of MECs one inside trying switch to series/parallel, i really like the result sound, but never can install a EQ or onboard preamp, all pickups on series, in passive sound so good, a carpenter its trying to fix it after broke with help of very neurotic ppl btw
    now i have a RB corvette 4 and its active and sound good, to my ears, i see bass amps, and i think are really expensive, and some class D, but i really impressed by filter preamps, it would be fine one DIY, i think on a peavey CS 800 to power some SWR henry cab 8x8 i ask for opinions about to DIY preamp filter and try to dissapoint me saying thats very hard, lol i know its not the latest technology, and maybe theres some fine schematics, or can recommend me another thread? thanks!

5. i really like Gary playing like this:

6. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    That video won't play in the US, but I found this one:

:)

The last time I saw Flora was on the Speak No Evil tour, at a very small local jazz club. That's when I saw Gary.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  7. Jajajaja me uploaded that time ago lol, i like so much that bass, :O relatively recently, moreless when i discover her, i like, now im hearin percy jones, i want filters, i think could be very cheap, but ACG eq 01 i think its expensive, also the SF-2, also somebody says about behringer peq 305 where i can find something?

8. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Percy is the reason I started playing fretless bass. :thumbsup: I've seen him many times, going back to 1976 when I first saw Brand X. :) We've even double billed on a gig back in the mid '00s. :bassist:

9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Flora always had awesome bassist including Randy Tico, Bob Harrison[an incredible player] and on some cuts, Jaco.

10. After i think brand x was a copy of tribal tech, lol, but its upside down, so lucky, live in places where have or had or still have top of music in the world, can imagine its because there are demand lol, or at least good festivals, i dont remember gigs or idk about any brand x did here in Guadalajara, and thats its so good, after, and then after, and after again, your idols, :) its so much when blue man group comes, lol. At least i can imagine in Mex capital there is more good world class shows. At least youtube are worldwide jjajaj lol (except by the blocked in your country) equal theres be some hack to skip that ill try with atube catcher maybe works.. Yes i think in all her albums bass and she are quintessencial imo i think i sleep hearing flora purims stuff, but idk im gary brown have some "touch" lol that moves me, to found in some way, the same way always try to stay my ears open, the list its so extensive lol :p since or until Esperanza Spalding, Bass extremes of course, Brad Houser, Mick Karn, Juan Nelson, Tony Levin, Brian Bromberg, Bill Dickens, Alain Caron, Tom Kennedy, Billy Sheehan, Stanley Clarke, Rocco Prestia, forget a name, Emmet Chapman, Zappa's bassist, Scott Tunes, Patrick o'hearn, Ric Fierabracci, idk Jeff Berlin was Zappas player, lol, a while saw Juna Serina, who in christmas Bootsy Collins posted his song Princess of funk, its really good, i dont like Mohiny dey, all another Marco Minnemann bass players are soo good, i read like TM stevens, Ben Essen, Frank Conrad, Gudze, (lol) and Fabio Trentini i love the G&Lish sounds like marco's, John Paul Jones, Geddy Lee, Sting is a beast in Ghost in the machine, ( how not na? lol ) and some other dont worth named lol, na.. i now cant remember all bass players i like, and i really need your help, to become like they, and your, btw bass its the principal project, oqual guitar piano and armony.. but i know i miss so much thinks, for that so much thanks, ill appreciate your wisdom, :D

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    There is every year, in Autumn, when the Formula 1 show comes to town! :thumbsup:

12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    Is she still recording?

13. ROFL ajajajaja
    i think no more, https://www.eyedentitymusic.com/ Diana Purim (Diana Booker) have the legacy lets hear she, maybe its so good like Flora, i hope

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    She has a sister who sings.
    But I forget her name.
    Anyone remember?

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Are those the lyrics to a song? :D

I don't know about a sister, but I did see Diana perform with Airto's Latin Jazz All-Stars many years ago. Flora was in Paris on "assignment" so Diana took her place. Great show. :thumbsup: