Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gary Burnside

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ebozzz, Aug 8, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Do I have any blues lovers in the house? If so, you need to check out the bassist for Junior Kimbrough whose name is Gary Burnside. Let me prepare you. Any of Junior's stuff that you will find is kind of raw & country but it has a vibe that just seems to reach you.

You may not be impressed by Gary's tone but check out his note placement. All I can say is that his style moves me. It's not very polished or refined. If that's what you're into, don't even bother. This is just some Down Home Mississippi Blues. Groovin! :)

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Is he related to R.L. ?

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    He might be. R.L. is on that Fat Possum label if I'm not mistaken but I don't have any of his stuff on hand.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Interesting, I'll check it out. I like blues, just not the Kenny Wayne Shepard type of blues. (I make an exception for S.R.V., that guy was quite good!)

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Gary's playing is going to be a lot less disciplined than the bassist who played with S.R.V. I haven't heard Kenny Wayne Shepard so I'll have to check him out. Like I said earlier, don't expect this masterful technical player with Gary. Just feel it and let it take you home. ;)

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's what I mean! I'm NOT into the uber technical guitar shred-o-matic blues.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Then I truly think that you will enjoy hearing Gary. The music just has that live feel about it. It sound like they were in some juke joint somewhere and they just started going at it. Raw but powerful.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, I bet I will like it.

9. "The band's set, closing the City Beat Stage, bolstered its roots by adding Gary Burnside, son of legendary bluesman R.L. Burnside, on second guitar."

From

Music Review

Apparently Gary also plays guitar. Here is another interesting link that talks about Gary a bit:

North Mississippi All-Stars

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Chris Chew of the North Mississippi Allstars isn't too shabby either.

11. If you want some good blues bass, listen to anything by Albert Collins. His bass player was John Gayden. Wonderful player.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I love me some Albert Collins but his music is very different from Junior Kimbrough's recordings. That Fat Possum vibe kind of has that Crossroads type vibe going on. Albert's stuff is more mainstream.