1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gary Grainger PRS Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jay Terrien, Apr 17, 2006.

1. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    WOW! that is one sweet looking bass, maybe they'll make it (or something similar) a regular production eventually.....

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    From the webpage: " Also, incorporated in the design, is an optional manual compressor called a “ramp” "

?

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad to see PRS is doing basses again. With the pickup placement on that bass, it will probably sound pretty close to the Ken Smith that he has been using recently.

4. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Looks awesome, but im not crazy about the purple color.

5. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    manual compressor...funny, and kinda true.

6. i've seen that before, but since its probably above my price range, i didn't really think about it...looks great though.

of course i don't really know who gary grainger is, so i never really thought about it :)

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Gary Grainger is a great bassist. I first heard him with the r&b band, Pockets, which was produced by members of Earth, Wind, & Fire. He later played with John Scofield during the period when he got seriously into funk with lots of slap bass. "Blue Mood" was the first of at least two albums that Gary Grainger did with Scofield (he was slinging a Stingray back then!) Gary Grainger also has a band with his brother, a drummer, called Grainger. It is lots of funk jazz with wickedly tight grooves and funky playing. I have one album from them called "Phase I."

Any bass that can reproduce the sound I associate with him would be bright, but with good mids, and would have a nice, tight slap sound.

8. Please forgive me, but I think the title is "Blue Matter". Great, funky album with some unbelievable Dennis Chambers drumming. They did a couple of othre ones, as well, "Loud Jazz"(nice title) being one of them.

9. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    IMO, his best work with Sco is the live "Pick Hits". Gary is killin' on that record!

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Cool post... yeah, the Loud Jazz CD really turned me on to a lot of ideas... wonderful playing and, at least for the time, wonderful sound... I assume it was a Music Man with the treble turned WAY up!

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Sorry, "Blue Matter" is the title.:D

12. Dude, I wore out 3 copies of that on cassette back in the day, and I'm workin' on CD #2...gotta remember to get that one on the iPod!

13. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Looks like it's using a Ken Smith bridge also. At least they don't have to change the name on the bridge if it is :)

14. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    No doubt...Grainger and Chambers are just about the baddest bass/drums funk duo one could ask for on that disc. Every rhythm section player that I have ever known that listened to that disc has always gone

Dayum!

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Looks like you're right on both counts!! :p

16. Price: One hundred BILLION dollars!