Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gary Karr

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by ba$$88, Jun 13, 2004.

1. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    I've noticed that this bass giant is not mentioned in a lot of threds and is even ommitted from THE GREATS sections. S here is a place anyone can talk about the most influential classical bassist of our time. :)

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I suspect that the "The Greats" section you're referring to is about jazz greats.

I'm happy to take you up on the chance to speak well of Gary. He's a warm, generous, funny man. He carried the torch for the double-bass for a long time and he carried it a long way: The solo repertoire is certainly richer for his involvement as performer and patron.

And if anybody has a legit copy of the Henze DB concerto on Deutsche Grammophone that they want to lose, please let me know!

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    You've got my vote on Gary Karr as well. It's hard not to be influential and receive reactions when you're as good as Gary Karr. Not only a generous man, but a great bassist too.

It's pretty easy to go to his website and listen to some of his recorded performances, including a whole take from Soft Brown Shoe.