1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gary-Michael Dahl's bassist? (Houston Band)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by megiddo, Aug 7, 2004.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Sometimes you get unexpected surprises.

I recently bought a new hard shell case for my bass, I explained to my wife that I nearly stepped on the neck while it was in a soft case at rehearsal and the hard case was a necessity. She doesn't see it that way so my punishment was to take the family to IKEA here in Houston. :crying: I'll never buy a hard case again!

While we were having a bite to eat I spotted a band loading in, YeeHaa I've got something to do while they shop. No such luck. She wants my advice, but I convince her to let me watch the first set. The band opens with a George Benson song. Cool, except she doesn't know what a set is so she's back after the first song. I explain what a set is and she reluctantly agrees to come get me after they stop playing. They're back after a few more songs and I have to go to preserve the marriage.

The band that was playing was the Gary-Michael Dahl Band. They are a local Houston Jazz band. The bassist blew me away! I haven't heard a guy that good in a long time. Anyway if you've read this far, does anyone know his name? I got back in time for their last song and introduced myself when they were tearing down. By the time I was out of the store I had forgotten his name. He'll be someone to watch in the future......... I think I'll go practice a while!

If you know him give him a pat on the back for me and thank him for the nice surprise! :bassist: