Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gary-Michael Dahl's bassist? (Houston Band)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by megiddo, Aug 7, 2004.

1. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Sometimes you get unexpected surprises.

I recently bought a new hard shell case for my bass, I explained to my wife that I nearly stepped on the neck while it was in a soft case at rehearsal and the hard case was a necessity. She doesn't see it that way so my punishment was to take the family to IKEA here in Houston. :crying: I'll never buy a hard case again!

While we were having a bite to eat I spotted a band loading in, YeeHaa I've got something to do while they shop. No such luck. She wants my advice, but I convince her to let me watch the first set. The band opens with a George Benson song. Cool, except she doesn't know what a set is so she's back after the first song. I explain what a set is and she reluctantly agrees to come get me after they stop playing. They're back after a few more songs and I have to go to preserve the marriage.

The band that was playing was the Gary-Michael Dahl Band. They are a local Houston Jazz band. The bassist blew me away! I haven't heard a guy that good in a long time. Anyway if you've read this far, does anyone know his name? I got back in time for their last song and introduced myself when they were tearing down. By the time I was out of the store I had forgotten his name. He'll be someone to watch in the future......... I think I'll go practice a while!

If you know him give him a pat on the back for me and thank him for the nice surprise! :bassist: