1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gary Peacock's rig

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bopeuph, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of equipment does Gary Peacock use? I can't find it anywhere on the net. Also, is that signature growl he has from his sound post adjustment, or is it from his amplification?

Nick

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. I have looked at the Keith Jarrett trio in Japan DVD, and all I can remember seeing appears to be a large condensor mic on the stage. He could have a wireless setup with a discrete onboard mic or pickup, of course - but nothing obvious bar the mic.

I suspect that nice woody growl might come down to a nicely setup bass and good technique...

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I saw him live in San Francisco about 4 years ago with the Jarrett/DeJohnette trio. I believe there was an Underwood on the bass, and some kind of mic sent to FOH. He had a GK800RB on top of an SWR Bass 750 into an SWR Goliath III 4x10 cab--I'm guessing it was a rental rig. I was in the cheap seats so I can't give any more details.

The Goliath was turned 90 degrees from the front of the stage so it only projected towards Peacock & DeJohnette--I'm sure Gary didn't want to mess with Keith's vocal stylings!;)

Winoman and jmlee like this.
  4. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    When I have seen Gary, including videos, he has always used a Fishman BP-100 pickup with various amps including SWR and Walter Woods. He also usually uses a mic, which I assume goes to FOH, so that is probably what the audience hears primarily.

5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

Can't help you out with Peacock's rig but the growl isn't coming from the bass; That's Jarrett.

Winoman and JC Nelson like this.
  6. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I loved Gary's sound on the 60's and early 70's stuff. Bill Evans Trio 64 is one of my favorite sides. But his live sound now ( and to a degree his recorded sound )I can't stand).Yeah, it has growl. But also a wanky midrange and high end. I've played his bass. Now my action is on the lower side, but I couldn't even play his bass. All pickup, no thump. I'm not an inch off the fingerboard gut-string thumper, but I want to hear some thump. I 'm a bit mad at myself for dissing a fellow bassist, but Gary was a big influence. I've never dug his sound with Keith (because I know what he could sound like) but after the bs re: the Elvis Costello incident, I have no more patience for narrow-minded weenies.

7. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    The Elvis Costello incident? What was that? Is there a thread somewhere that I can read about it? Let me guess. Did it have something to do with Gary being as self absorbed as Keith Jarrett? I hope not.

As for Gary's sound I suspect that all that "rig" is just to hear himself over Jack DeJohnette....at times a very loud drummer. I've seen his rig before.......a WW amp and a 4X10 cab. Not exactly what you would call an acoustic group.

8. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Nice.:D

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about this, and I figured TB was the best place to go.

Nick

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I saw him with the Keith Jarrett trio at Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto a few years ago, and his bass was barely audible. He had a 4x10" cab(pretty sure it was an SWR), and some sort of rack setup. Not huge on his tone, but he is getting older, and I am sure his setup is one that makes it easy for him to play. Great player of course!

10. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
  11. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Wow, I guess Gary lost control there! Insecurity expresses itself in many ways....... maybe he realized he wasn't going to cut it onstage with Elvis Costello.

In that case, a more humble ( or perhaps sober) human being would have found a more polite way to decline the gig.

Curious thing is........isn't Gary's intonation a bit meandering at times?:D

Fame has a price, an account that is never payed in full.

12. Roger Mouton

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    bolo,

Thanks for that. Interesting reading. Why am I not surprised? Gary IS at least as self-absorbed as Keith. His most recent video comes off as him being somewhat aloof as well, IMHO. I could never put my finger on it until now. Hell of a player though.

Contrast this with Eddie Gomez and his most recent video done in David Gage's place. A must see if you're into DB in any way. He's of that level of player but totally open and willing to share with you and others the whole process of creating music with the bass. And you get the impression that he would play with anybody. And play his ass off.

I once heard a story about a friend's wife who was with child in NYC and going to prenatal classes or something held by a midwife. As the story goes, that midwife was Eddie's wife and part of the class included him playing arco solo. Can you imagine? I will follow up on that story. It supposedly happened maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

Winoman likes this.
  13. all the jarrett cd's & dvd's, gary is using his 7/8 english
    samuel allen w/ spirocores, a fishman & either WW,GK or SWR.

in the past few years he's using a 3/4 west german flatback w/
    spirocore mittels, a full circle & SWR rigs. his live sound is pretty
    good...full tone top to bottom, with plenty of growl. his ECM live recorded sound is really not what he sounds like live. i dont think there exists a live trio recording with his 3/4 bass.

he is a true gentleman, a man's man & a complete musician who also happens to be a master jazz bassist, one of the greatest...&
    he still plays his ass off every gig. because of how hard he's worked...how great he is...& the great jazz cats he's played with & created music with...he can play with whomever he wants.

14. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Thats good to hear.

15. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I guess that a sense of appreciation and humility doesn't necessarily come with age and experience.

Ric Vice likes this.
  16. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    The Gary Peacock/Elvis Costello grudge match was debated thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, here. And before we vote him man of the year, Eddie Gomez is no choir boy either.

bass183 likes this.
  17. Roger Mouton

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    milomo (and everyone else that posted)

Thanks for the follow up and the link. I had no idea the incident was so extensively discussed before. I only got to page 8 and realized there were 22 more pages to go. I will eventually get around to reading it all.

There are many sides to every story but it does seem that Gary is as sublimely self-absorbed as Keith.

18. I've seen him twice... with Keith Jarrett in Chicago a while back, he was using an SWR Goliath III and an old GK800RB, with a mic in front of the cab. In St. Louis, with a trio he was leading, he used a GKMB112.... both times it sounded fantastic...... I guess the tone really is in the hands!

Winoman likes this.
  19. at birdland last week, swr goliath III & an swr head.
    his sound was good from my seat, but gary said the
    sound wasnt happening onstage. we couldn't tell. this
    was good friday nite, 1st show with marc copeland (p) &
    bill stewart (d).

20. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i saw him at birdland a while back. swr head and cabinet, with underwood pickup. thats the same rig he's using in his instructional video