Gary Strater - Starcastle

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rob W, Nov 16, 2000.

1. Anybody here know the band Starcastle They were around in the mid to late '70's. They were basically a direct rip off of Yes, so if anyone here is a big Yes fan, you should check them out - it's like finding a few lost Yes albums.

Anyway, their bass player, Gary Strater did some really fine melodic work on those albums. His tone is very much borrowed from Chris Squire, but he really sounds great IMO.

Anybody else know his work or whatever happened to him after Starcastle?
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to see Starcastle when they played clubs. Yes, they borrowed quite heavily from...Yes. His sound live was way too thin. Took the Chris Squire sound, and then nearly eliminated all the low end. I think they were probably pretty good, but far too contrived.
  3. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Yes.. I remember the Starcastle album. I thought it was a
    good album. I was a big Chris Squire fan too! Kansas was
    another band that had Yes thing goin' on... Most people probably thought they WERE "YES". when they heard the single. ......still it was good.. IMO
  4. I think they made at least 4 albums in fact. I have 2 of them and I will probably order the others.

Yes, his tone could use some more bottom, but there are parts of his sound that are really great. He certainly got that thing growling. :)