1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gary Willis – Groovin' With Tribal Tech Again!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Feral Feline, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Just came back from the Tribal Tech gig here in Hong Kong, the band's first gig together in something like a decade (that's what Scott Henderson said, I don't know).

FANTASTIQUE! :hyper:

New Material, Old Material and all of it most Garoovalicious!

He played his sig Ibby GWB1005 5er natural ash fretless through a GR effects unit into a rental backline of Aguilar 750/Aguilar 8x10. Sounded great and it was inspiring to watch his right-hand finger technique in person from my third-row seat (I could just about see how much he trimmed his nails), much better than having a video close-up. He boogalood to his basslines, dancing & playing with lots of energy. Good energy from everyone in the band.

Twas the first gig on their new tour and I don't know how they could get any tighter than they already are though I'm sure they will as the tour progresses. Alas their time in HK was fleeting, they were/are on a REALLY tight schedule and their plane left about an hour ago (5am flight after the gig) – Mr. Willis could simply say: "Veni, Vidi, Vici, Abii!"

Nonetheless, they were gracious with what little time they had here and signed autographs; he was a gent when I got to meet him backstage. Catch'm if you can. Killer!

______________ :cool: _____________ :bassist: ___________

2. cool. great band, and willis is a true master.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...he finally made the cover of Bass Player (April 2013).

4. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Just caught Tribal Tech outside of Naples, Italy tonight and despite a few technical issues it was a fantastic show.

The good: The band was killin'. Absolutely inspired performances across the bandstand. I laughed, I cried, I grooved, my face was melted. They brought it 100% and covered so much ground that I was awestruck at the range that these guys gave to the audience. Prototypical fusion craziness, afrobeat ostinato throwbacks to weather report's black market, soaring ballads, duets and solis, epic trading and drum solos, driving funk, and a genuine emotional thrill ride.

The Bad: A few misfires with the technology/tracks Scott Kinsey was dialing up. After minutes clicking around on his mac he worked it out, while Henderson, Covington, and Willis launched into a tasty version of Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum.

The Ugly: They were playing in a mall atrium that was pretty much a 100ft tall glass encased, two level biodome, so you can imagine how the sound was...Gary and I were joking about the room together before soundcheck...Victor Wooten and Mike Stern had played the same stage 2 nights ago and it made Carnegie Hall sound like a isobooth.

Overall: Great show. Check'em out if they come to your neighborhood.

5. Sounds like they took the bad and made it good. I'd like to hear them play that tune.