Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gary Willis bass HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I've searched pretty well, and I don't see very much talk about these basses. All the reviews I've read say they are great basses, and tehy usually go for under $600. I just have a few questions for those of you who have had experience with them. First, the bass is supposed to have great fretless tone, but the one-pickup setup kind of makes me think that the tone is not very adjustable- is this true? Second, there are two versions the GWB1 and the GWB35. The 1 seems to be much more expensive and to be a higher rated of the two, yet I can't find a difference between them. Thanks, any help would really help a tremendous amount.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The big difference between the two GWB models is in the electronics and wood. The budget model has a basswood body and ebonol fingerboard. The electronics are Korean Bartolinis. The high end model has an ash body and I think a pau ferro fingerboard and USA Bartolinis. As for its sound, I think the budget version sounds great. I have not played the expensive version. The sound is not real boomy due to the pickup position, but it can get responsible bottom end.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was wrong. The fretboard on both models is ebonol. :eek: Dude, get the budget version.

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Got one (budget model) in my hands for a few seconds at a store, it seemed to sound great but it was pretty light and looked a bit "plastic" to me (I'm used to my warwick so don't pay attention). Seems like a good buy. I wanna play the expensive one, might be the fretless I'm going to buy some day.

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Dude trust me, light basses are where it's at. I just finished two new years sets. One with my rob allenf retless, and one with my warwick thumb nt. :eek:
    Guess which set was better on my shoulder :p

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    The GWB1 originally had an ebony fingerboard, not ebonal. It also has a flatter neck than the GWB35. I recommend scouting out a used GWB1 (for about $800-900). Sick bass. Mine isn't going anywhere.

No, the electronics are not as flexible as a p/j system, but I'm able to get plenty of bottom using a combination of muting (RH or LH) and a slight bass boost on the preamp. I play ot passively most of the time, and just kick in the preamp when I need a bit more push.

7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    The GWB105 is going for $999 new at Sweetwater... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GWB105NTF/

...and $974 over at Instrument Pro http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-IBAGWB105.html?PHPSESSID=d4ad43e4f0d6b05d0d842b3a1fd8462c

Is ebony vs. ebonal that big of a difference?

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ebony is going to be smoother sounding, especially on the top end. Some prefer the ebonal because of it's extra mwah factor. I like the more natural sound of ebony myself.

Ben, you've got one of these? Very cool looking bass.

9. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Are those extra options on the GW105 really worth double the price? I like the black finish better too, but I'd be willing to spend more on better sounding electronics and a higher quality instrument. Can anyone describe how these basses sound?

I really like Gary's tone in the videos section on this website link . How does the Ibanez tone compare to this, and also-what type of bass is he playing there? Looks like his ibanez but with two single coils?

10. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    The difference isn't as much the ebony vs ebonal, as it is the thickness of the neck. I haven't played a GWB105, so I'm not sure if it has the thicker neck like the GWB35, or the flatter neck like the GWB1.

I like them so much that at one point I had two, but one (fretted) was stolen. I think the neck is worth the price difference, but I don't think they make the GWB1 anymore. Seriously, be a little patient and find a used GWB1. You'll be glad you did.

11. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    they have fretted versions of this bass??

where can i find one?

12. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Not as far as I know.

13. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    but benrose just said that he had one that was stolen.
    :confused:
    custom made, perhaps?

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't know if it's still available but they did indeed make a fretted version.

15. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I first checked this bass more than 6 months ago and hadn't seen a fretted version. It must have been discontinued for quite a while, can't find sth relevant at their site: www.ibanez.com

16. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Yes, they did make a fretted version (it was stained black), but I bought a fretless one used and had Vintage JBass size frets installed. It was a prett slick bass.

17. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I have the GWB35. The main difference's are the GWB1 has a Bratolini pickup and tthe GWB35 has an Ibanez pickup. GWB1 also has the option of pulling the volume knob and switching it Passive.

If you're really interested in a reasonably priced fretless 5, the GWB35 is the best bet I came across. I love mine, and play it constantly. It's giving my ESP a run for it's money. I find myself wanting to take both basses to practices, as they both sound so different yet so good.

And here are the mandotory pictures :-D

[​IMG]
    With my ESP.

[​IMG]

Sadly, I don't have any soundclips up, but if you have any questions about the bass, feel free to PM me. Hope I helped :)

18. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Thanks guys. Any info on the video?

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's an older soundgear bass that Gary was using in the video that he had defretted I believe. By the way, he absolutely smokes on that clip!!!!!

20. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I can'T comment on the sound but I played the budget model unplugged. Pure comfort.