Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gary willis clinic ----> Chile!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Jun 12, 2003.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Wow, this is incredible!!! tonight i'm going to hear and watch mr.gary willis play. I'm going to take lots of pictures!!! (not digital camera... that sucks! my sister is not gonna lend me her digital camera...:spit:). I have already missed, dennis chambers, frank gambale, billy sheehan, and many others... i can't miss this one.
    woo hoo! I also won the tickets for the show. lucky me!:D

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Congrats and have fun!

Pictures are mandatory!!!!

3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    ultra wow!!:eek: the show last night was amazing i learned a lot from gary, he has a very interesting approach to music. I recently arrived my house in valparaíso(the clinic was in santiago wich is a big poluted city, wich i hate .:meh: )i had to stay there, and i woke up very early in the morning today, because my bus was leaving, so now i'm very tired.

anyway, i did took pictures of me and gary, and he also did gave me his autograph in my notebook.
    how cool is that?:bassist:

but since it's a normal camera, i have to take more pictures, (cat!! come here!!!....).:rolleyes:

ok, so since that you are people that can't wait for the pictures, ill post one now for free!:rolleyes:

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I saw Garry when he was in Australia a few years ago. The show consisted of him improvising to a pre-recorded CD, then a question and answer session. You're right, he thinks outside the square and he open my mind to a different way of thinking.

I'm wierd though. I actually prefer Drum clinics to bass clinics :meh:

5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    for example, gary talked about his aproach to chords. he said he is not going to fall in the roots everytime a chord is changed, better than that, he answers to the last idea he played, with the help of his ear that has some sort of instinct, developed by practice and years of playing, that way he talks musically, wich is more important that start thinking in scales, intervals, and so on).
    another thing they talked was about his technique, wich i liked a lot, but i can't practice it cause i'm with ehmmm... in spanish its called tendinitis, i think that the translation is very similar. gary also talked that he controls with his right hand the dinamics of his playing. that's the most important thing in his technique. he also talked about fretted basses(he said he wasn't playing it anymore), slap(too plain for him, that's why it's not his main stile, but he knows how to), chapman stick(he said that he can think in that way, but he don't like the sound the stick has). they talked about his bass, the equipment, effects, and influences.

he also talked about a lot of thing wich i can't remember now, but every aspect of his playing was awsome. he also talked that he has lots of problems composing music..... but that's other story.

drum clinics? never seen a live one. only the dennis chambers video, interesting..... for my drummer friends......

NOTE: my english sucks some times, so i can be very wrong in what i'm trying to explain.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The part about thinking in intervals was especially interesting. He used this to lead into his thoughts on fretboard geometry - he had a word for it but I can't remember what it was. But the jist of it was that on a bass, it doesn't matter what part of the fretboard you're playing on, the intervals and finger positions don't ever change. Unlike a guitar which has one string tuned to a different interval, forcing you to change the shape of your fingering..... it's a simple concept but you'd be surprised how many guys can't play a song in a different key if the need arises....