Gary Willis Fretless bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRB, Mar 23, 2004.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi everyone,
    I just sold my Carvin LB75 fretless because I did not feel it was right for me. I am hoping to get another fretless for around $1000 up to maybe $1400. Does anyone own the Gary Willis Idanez bass? What do you think of it. I would love a review and maybe a discription of the tone if possible. Anything you don't like about it? Thanks a lot. I found out that I can get the dark stained one right know but the natural finish will take two months to order. O well, I think I will wait because the natural, at least in the picture looks better.

2. I've had an eye on this model too, so I'd like to bump this along just to keep up-to-date on any responses.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've played several and really like them. They're very light and resonant, and the overall tone is very smooth with just enough j-bass growl. Great for soloing and nice B string. The ramp is very comfortable too. Only complaint is that it feels a little flimsy and the oil finish is easily banged up.
  4. About four months ago, I thought pretty seriously about one of these basses. I emailed Gary Willis and he was very helpful. If you get one through him, he sets them up. He assured me, he plays what he sells.

I live in Canada and by the time I would be done with exchange and shipping, I couldn't see the bass could be worth what I would have to spend - even though Gary was making me a deal on one he had in stock.

I ended up ordering an 'identical' bass from Mike Kinal. I spent a little more but do get a custom bass from a well respected luthier. I think the hardware Mike has selected is a little nicer than the stock Ibanez hardware. I get to choose the color as well. The bass won't be ready until May or so. If you search this site, there are some pictures of a blue, five-string fretless Mike built.

I read a few reviews of the Willis bass and they were all positive. I noticed a couple of days ago, Bass Northwest has a nice used 'natural' one. They are great people to deal with.