For Sale Gary Willis GW1 (converted to Fretted) Ibanez Bass PRICE DROPPED_again

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JuanG, May 7, 2021.

1. JuanG

JuanG Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    This bass was made in Japan in 1999. I bought it from NJ Guitar and Bass last year and it's in great shape. It's what you expect from this bass, light, fast, low action, and just super easy to play. If you have the fretless version, this would be a perfect brother for that bass. Some wear and tear but overall in very good condition. This bass originally a GWI turned into fretted with vintage size 6105 frets at the LA Bass Exchange in late 2002. Shipping included. Paypal ok IMG_2843.JPG IMG_2845.JPG IMG_2846.JPG IMG_2841.JPG

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021 at 1:13 PM
  2. feschyn

feschyn Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Was this bass originally fretless? Thanks.

3. JuanG

JuanG Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I don't believe so, but I wouldn't know since I only got it last year. A few of these were built fretted from the get go and the NJ guitar and bass guy said that Gary Willis might have owned it himself, but who knows.

feschyn likes this.
  4. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Gold Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    I owned one like this model (and a GWB1 - had the fretted/fretless pair!) and they are great basses. I found they balanced really well and the necks were slightly thicker than the Ibby SDGR line - offering a really comfortable grip for long sets.

GLWTS!

oaklandthumb, JuanG and 77stingray like this.
  5. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Skjold Artist
    I bought Jeff’s fretted and it was an absolutely stellar bass. I switched to shorter scales, but man I miss that bass!

funkyjudge, JuanG and Jeff Elkins like this.
  6. Sandro Scoccia

Sandro Scoccia

Sep 13, 2013
    Jmzz likes this.
  7. JuanG

JuanG Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    That link that you attached is for a GW35 that comes in a brown stained body. That's a cheaper version of the GW1 that came with ebonol fingerboard instead of Ebony plus other differences. The GW1/GW2 is the original version of this bass and was made in Japan. I cannot attest that the bass I am selling was not a fretless before because I bought it "as is" one year ago, but I do believe that GW2s did come in the natural look, but probably also in the brown stained look.

funkyjudge likes this.
  8. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Absolutely correct. I have seen at least three other fretted Ibanez Gary Willis basses in the natural finish and Ebonol fingerboard. One of my friends had a bass-only music store for several years and he had one of these basses on display, which I played a few times, and seriously considered buying. It was an excellent bass, and the retail price on it was in the $3,000 to $3,300 range.

pwilson and oaklandthumb like this.
  9. Sandro Scoccia

Sandro Scoccia

Sep 13, 2013
  10. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I’m not sure what that linked data is supposed to prove, since it is incomplete at best. Since I have had my hands on the fretted GWB in a natural finish, I am SURE that Ibanez made a fretted Gary Willis signature bass with a natural finish.

11. Ben Rose

Ben Rose Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    If this is the bass I think it is...

This was originally a fretless GWB1 with an ebony fingerboard. I bought it used to match my fretless GWB1 and had it fretted with vintage size 6105 frets at the LA Bass Exchange in late 2002 right around the time the shop moved. The indicators for me are the white nut (Ibanez used black) and smaller frets (Ibanez used larger frets).

A very fine example of a GWB1 converted to fretted. GLWTS!

12. Sandro Scoccia

Sandro Scoccia

Sep 13, 2013
    Well,... if the data I linked is incomplete to you, what you brought to the conversation is even more incomplete and just anecdotal. You identified the bass linked as a GW35, that is a totally different bass and it is not even offered as fretted...
    According to all the official Ibanez documentation available on line, the only time Ibanez offered a fretted version of the GW bass is with the GWB2.
    I am not doubting that you played a natural finished fretted GW, but like this one, was not a fretted by the factory model.
    Until you can bring a link or documentation of what you are saying, that Ibanez made a natural finished fretted version of the GW bass, your point is totally baseless.

13. Sandro Scoccia

Sandro Scoccia

Sep 13, 2013
    Great point about the white nut!! I did not payed attention to it, and I went to check on my GW basses, and sure enough are all black!

funkyjudge likes this.
  14. JuanG

JuanG Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Ibanez did offer a fretted version of the GW35. See link below:

Ibanez Introduces Gary Willis Fretted Signature Bass

Also, if you look carefully at the link that you yourself posted you'll read in the text that it says "GW35".

Sandro Scoccia likes this.
  15. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    THAT was the one that I played! I remember the offset white position markers on the fingerboard (or fretboard, if you prefer). Now I am beginning to think that I was wrong, and it was the black fretted and the much more expensive fretless GWB with the natural finish that I played in about 2011-2014.

16. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA

When I am wrong, I admit it ... and I was WRONG on this matter! See my reply directly above this one. It was at least 7, and maybe as much as 10-11 years ago, so my aging memory (I’m now 72) must have been playing tricks on me. I’m now pretty sure that the fretted GWB bass that I played was the black basswood one that sold for $799.99, while the natural finish one was the much more expensive fretless model.

Sorry for the earlier replies that I posted!!!

17. Sandro Scoccia

Sandro Scoccia

Sep 13, 2013
    You are right and this is much more recent model, 2015, and it is not natural but black in finish, with different materials, fingerboard dots offset ...
    My points were made in reference to the bass posted, that in my opinion it was/is not fretless originally. These basses are great, and likely it is a great fretted bass! Just that.

18. Jmzz

Jmzz

Nov 20, 2020
    California
  19. joeeg33

joeeg33 Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Central New Jersey
    I can confirm it’s a GWB1. I sold it to jay at NJ Guitar and Bass. I had the neck off once, there is a stamp, GWB1

20. sonicyogi

sonicyogi Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    NYC
    I remember the fretted versions being sold out there. Somebody grab this one!

JuanG likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021