gary willis sig bass, and more!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Feb 10, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    went to drop my IOD off for service, and of course i was lured into the bass department.

and there she was - the instrument i've been lusting to try for many moons.

i played it for a good 20 minutes. that ramp REALLY makes a difference. i played it thru a bass pod (set on either the sm400 or the B15 setting) and a SWR super redhead. it was light, had the definite gary willis tone, and for some reason i could play it almost perfectly in tune even without looking at the fret lines. the electronics are awesome too - simple and effective.

she had been there for a LONG time, and had a few dings, so it was "clearance priced" at 999, but they wouldn't budge :(

the only thing that concerns me is that i have this feeling like i could make any fretless play that nice with the proper setup and the ramp. and that i still just don't like the feel of maple necks compared to a natural finished wood.

there's a fretless 5 string warwick fortress for sale for $750. if i stuck ramps in between the pickups, that would pretty much do it - except for the fact that on the GWB both the ramp and the pickup are curved to match the fingerboard. how big of a difference would that make?

would a single pickup bass work better? like a fortress masterman or streamer pro M?

i would think i could warmoth a similar bass - but i'm not sure i would be compatible with the wider spacing on their deluxe 5 neck, or the 21 frets vs the full octave.

if i were to get one of said warwicks, i would feel much more comfortable with it if it had fretlines. how much would it cost to have a qualified person add maple veneer fretlines? (or even rosewood, the darker lines would probably be cooler) or - would it be cheaper to buy a fretted one and have someone replace the fingerboard with a lined ebony board?

that enough random stuff for one post? ;)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, I played both the fretted and fretless GW models, and they sucked so bad tonally that it was impossible to tell if it was the bass and/or the setup.

Way overpriced, at least in Europe (1.700 Euro)
  3. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I actually had a chance to buy a GWB1 at Daddy's used. The only probs were that the input was shot, a huge chunk missing out of the ash body (someone dropped it for sure), headstock was missing a chunk also, and various cuts into the wood on the front of the body. RAMP WAS MISSING. The action was VERY HIGH. I did play it and despite the annoying cutting in and out and the annoying high action (maybe a truss rod adjustment would do the trick) the bass sounded pretty good. More of a woodsy type fretless. The board showed wear and a tiny tiny crack.

I liked it but the bass was in fair condition. They wanted $950 for it first but after I showed them all the things wrong with it dropped it to $900 then to $830 then to $800. I turned them down because they were sooooooo desperate to get it off their hands. If it were in new condition I would have bought the thing. But that thing went through a war zone. Obviously someone that does not take care of their gear.

The bass has been discontinued. An Ibanez dealer told me that they never had one before and according to the factory - they never produced more than 100. If that is true man, that really sucks.
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i always wanted to try one but couldnt find one for the life of me.