Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gary Willis

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by guac mole, May 10, 2002.

1. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    I really dig the music he created for the Aguilar site:

www.aguilaramp.com

I've never heard any of his music with tribal tech or any other band for that matter, but which one of his cd's sounds similar to what you hear on the website.

thanks

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    His solo stuff, like "Bent", any of the Tribal Tech stuff... hey, it's Gary. That's what he sounds like;)

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Can't recall whether it's like the website music,
    but you WILL enjoy "Bent"

I'd bet on it.....:D

4. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    So what you're advising me to do is to "get Bent";)

Great advice, I'm on it.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    (Hold the)Guacamole-
    Bent is very happenin! Easily one of my "Top-10" purchases of that year(how long has it been, now? 4 years? Willis is certainly due for another 'solo' outing, eh?).

Tribal Tech's last cd, Rocket Science worked for me...Kirk Covington's best outing with TT(IMO).
    Dr. Hee is also *great*...if you can find it!

Too bad Willis' time spent in Wayne Shorter's '80s electric band is NOT so well documented...
    Shorter, Willis, Tommy Brechtlein(cans), & Tom Canning(keys) sounds killer on paper.
    Unfortunately, the records from that time have a little too much sequencing for me...wish there was a live recording out there.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Gary was here in MD last week, doing a clinic in the store Anthony Wellington teaches in. I didn't get over to see him this time.