1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Garz Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zentner, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Anyone Ever tried any Garz stuff?

I'm especially interested in the Dood 9-string bass, and was wondering if anyone has seen/heard/owns one, or any other Garz basses.

Any Suggestions for custom companies?

I play mostly Jazz/Funk, as well as alot of Emo/Screamo/Hardcore. A good mix of different styles, so i'm looking for something versetile, and i figured that an 8 string would just add to the sexuality of the bass. Yes, i mean sexuality.

Sorry if i sound noobish, but i'm new to the custom thing.

Thanks alot!

~Zentner

2. Just get a stingray.

3. Is there a website for garz guitars?

4. http://www.garzguitars.com/

Haven't seen or heard of one. Some of them look nice, but the 9 string? Kind of confusing why the B string isn't doubled...and I don't really dig the body shape.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I checked out a 4-string a while back. They seem to be solidly made.

Their resale value is very low, if that's a concern.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The neck shape will make it very neck-heavy.

7. As for weight, i don't particularly find it an issue. In fact, i almost prefer something a bit heavier, as i'm more used to it. (plus, i'm a young chap, who needs the excercise)

I figured that a 9 string with this kind of configuration would be good for my style of playing. I would use the guitar strings a great deal, and i don't think i'd use a 5th guitar string if i had one. How does a Low B guitar string sound with a bass string? I thought it would turn out to be kind of a wierd sound. Anyways, as well, i usually use my low B infrequently, as oppose to my other strings. I just use it for accents and such.

I personally don't mind the body shape. It's a bit Gothic and crazy, but i like the wood grain and color combination. (though i'm sure these things can be changed) Overall, i personally think it's a good mix of the traditional wood bodied basses, and the newer, more extravagently colored guitars.

Any comments on how the basses themselves sound? I was mostly looking for a style i can categorize them with.

Thanks for all the great comments!

~Zentner

8. sambacanuta

sambacanuta

Nov 11, 2004
    NY
    I Played a Garz 4 string at a store here in NJ. I was impressed. Great construction and feel. Smooth confy neck, great body size, beautiful woods. Someone had changed the Barts for some other kind of pickups though. Craftsmanship seemed awesome. I am thinking about ordering a five from him, but I will wait until after this weekend. I am going the Philly to check out the basses at the Guitar Show especially the Warrior Isabella. After that I will make a decision.

9. sambacanuta

sambacanuta

Nov 11, 2004
    NY
    Here are some pics of what will be my Garz 5 string with mahogany body, maple top, pao ferro board and bart electronics. I have been extremely pleased in working with this builder. I have picked absolutely everything in this bass. From woods, to design, to meassurements to accesories. I have not the recieved the bass yet but wanted to show you guys the pics he has sent to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sambacanuta

sambacanuta

Nov 11, 2004
    NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. sambacanuta

sambacanuta

Nov 11, 2004
    NY
    I have recieved my Garz and I could not be happier.
    Incredible playability, tone, looks.
    Best bass I have ever owned, period. Here is a list of all the basses I Have owned in the past:

1974 Fender jazz Bass
    Ays Singlecut 5 string
    Tobias Basic 5 pre gibson
    Roscoe LG 3005
    Fodera Emperor 5
    Garz 5

I can finally rest. I won't be searching for another bass in a long time.

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I "think" I played the same 4 string in NJ & it was indeed a great instrument. Not sure of the pre or pup's( a lot of knobs!). Regardless, great construction & sound, definetly worth checking out...

~S~

13. That looks like a great bass.

14. I've played an older Garz and love it. Will be trying to add it to my collection and it will be one of my main axes!!

15. I love the look of the Cobra - maybe someday ...

16. Finally got the money saved and bought! Money well spent. I have some really nice basses but this ones amazing in every respect!!!

mb94952 likes this.
  17. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

Reviving a dead thread... Here are my two GARZ model MB-4's. Yup, he named 'em after me :) !!!
    Best basses I ever owned. Custom in every way. I ordered exactly what I wanted from wood choice to the fret board radius, even to the weight. Both come in at a perfect 8 lbs 1 oz.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Those look nice. I had a Garz singlecut 4 for awhile, from somebody here (and I think eventually also sold to somebody here), and really, really dug it.

19. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Reviving this thread again - does anybody have any recent builds from Garz - like within the last year or so? I'm considering a custom build and it looks like he'll do anything you want - unlike some builders who only build their own designs.

20. I have an older Garz 4 string that's a great bass. And I have a few nice ones.