Garz Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zentner, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Anyone Ever tried any Garz stuff?

I'm especially interested in the Dood 9-string bass, and was wondering if anyone has seen/heard/owns one, or any other Garz basses.

Any Suggestions for custom companies?

I play mostly Jazz/Funk, as well as alot of Emo/Screamo/Hardcore. A good mix of different styles, so i'm looking for something versetile, and i figured that an 8 string would just add to the sexuality of the bass. Yes, i mean sexuality.

Sorry if i sound noobish, but i'm new to the custom thing.

Thanks alot!

2. Is there a website for garz guitars?

Haven't seen or heard of one. Some of them look nice, but the 9 string? Kind of confusing why the B string isn't doubled...and I don't really dig the body shape.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I checked out a 4-string a while back. They seem to be solidly made.

Their resale value is very low, if that's a concern.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The neck shape will make it very neck-heavy.
  6. As for weight, i don't particularly find it an issue. In fact, i almost prefer something a bit heavier, as i'm more used to it. (plus, i'm a young chap, who needs the excercise)

I figured that a 9 string with this kind of configuration would be good for my style of playing. I would use the guitar strings a great deal, and i don't think i'd use a 5th guitar string if i had one. How does a Low B guitar string sound with a bass string? I thought it would turn out to be kind of a wierd sound. Anyways, as well, i usually use my low B infrequently, as oppose to my other strings. I just use it for accents and such.

I personally don't mind the body shape. It's a bit Gothic and crazy, but i like the wood grain and color combination. (though i'm sure these things can be changed) Overall, i personally think it's a good mix of the traditional wood bodied basses, and the newer, more extravagently colored guitars.

Any comments on how the basses themselves sound? I was mostly looking for a style i can categorize them with.

Thanks for all the great comments!

7. sambacanuta

Nov 11, 2004
    I Played a Garz 4 string at a store here in NJ. I was impressed. Great construction and feel. Smooth confy neck, great body size, beautiful woods. Someone had changed the Barts for some other kind of pickups though. Craftsmanship seemed awesome. I am thinking about ordering a five from him, but I will wait until after this weekend. I am going the Philly to check out the basses at the Guitar Show especially the Warrior Isabella. After that I will make a decision.
  8. sambacanuta

Nov 11, 2004
    Here are some pics of what will be my Garz 5 string with mahogany body, maple top, pao ferro board and bart electronics. I have been extremely pleased in working with this builder. I have picked absolutely everything in this bass. From woods, to design, to meassurements to accesories. I have not the recieved the bass yet but wanted to show you guys the pics he has sent to me.

9. sambacanuta

Nov 11, 2004
    I have recieved my Garz and I could not be happier.
    Incredible playability, tone, looks.
    Best bass I have ever owned, period. Here is a list of all the basses I Have owned in the past:

1974 Fender jazz Bass
    Ays Singlecut 5 string
    Tobias Basic 5 pre gibson
    Roscoe LG 3005
    Fodera Emperor 5
    Garz 5

I can finally rest. I won't be searching for another bass in a long time.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I "think" I played the same 4 string in NJ & it was indeed a great instrument. Not sure of the pre or pup's( a lot of knobs!). Regardless, great construction & sound, definetly worth checking out...

11. That looks like a great bass.
  12. I've played an older Garz and love it. Will be trying to add it to my collection and it will be one of my main axes!!
  13. I love the look of the Cobra - maybe someday ...
  14. Finally got the money saved and bought! Money well spent. I have some really nice basses but this ones amazing in every respect!!!
    mb94952 likes this.
  15. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

Reviving a dead thread... Here are my two GARZ model MB-4's. Yup, he named 'em after me :) !!!
    Best basses I ever owned. Custom in every way. I ordered exactly what I wanted from wood choice to the fret board radius, even to the weight. Both come in at a perfect 8 lbs 1 oz.

16. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Those look nice. I had a Garz singlecut 4 for awhile, from somebody here (and I think eventually also sold to somebody here), and really, really dug it.
  17. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Reviving this thread again - does anybody have any recent builds from Garz - like within the last year or so? I'm considering a custom build and it looks like he'll do anything you want - unlike some builders who only build their own designs.
  18. I have an older Garz 4 string that's a great bass. And I have a few nice ones.