1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS again - looking for cab/combo advice

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've successfully managed to not think much about gear for perhaps close to two years now. I've been using the Clarus SL and Wizzy 10 combo for everything, in combination with a Full Circle. Every now and then I think about using a mic but can't be bothered although I will occasionally use a stand-mounted one at a concert gig. Interested in the new Vektor but haven't gotten around to ordering one.

Of course in reality I'm not really happy with the amplified sound I'm getting. I've had it with using the Wizzy for concert gigs. The portability is just so damn great for regular jobbing gigs but I really do not dig the sound as much as I've tried to live with it. So harsh and artificial sounding at least with the Full Circle. No punch, no warmth.

Unfortunately when I look at other options for something highly portable but still capable of playing most situations, I am stymied as to what to do. I keep wondering about a Series III AI combo because of the weight and combo convenience. I had a Series II in the past and grew to hate the down-firing woofer but people tell me the Series III sound much better. I know about the forthcoming forwarding firing 2 x 10 but am not prepared to go much above a total head/cab weight of 22 or 23 lbs. With the Clarus SL and Wizzy 10 I'm not even at 20 lbs. The Phil Jones Flightcase BG-150 is interesting but there are concerns with how much it can pump out although my experience is that I really don't need that much sound. Also wondering about the Genz Benz STL-10T or STL-8T cabs with the Clarus SL or even the combos. I did actually try and order a STL-8T when Marty first clued me onto it but it never turned up.

Separately I am thinking about the Phil Jones 4B cab with the Clarus SL (possibly not enough power?) for concert gigs. 39 lbs is more cab than I ever could have imagined but I hear the sound is damn good.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Perhaps use the Clarus with an Acme Low B-1?

3. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had a B-1 a while ago and sold it pretty quickly. It's a bizarre kind of cab. Totally hi-fi - sounds great as a PA for example. However I found it way too dark not to mention too big and too heavy for regular gigs. Thanks for the suggestion though!

4. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Understood.

Rumor is that Acme will be starting to use Neo drivers soon. Maybe that will reduce the weight.

I haven't tried the B1, but I have a pair of B2s. Never considered them dark (but they are definitely hi fi; "neutral" I would say). I wonder if we are hearing things differently or perhaps the B1 has a different sound than the B2.

Cheers,

Jeff

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    It's probably not what you want but I've been using an AI Clarus with a GK MBX extension cab the last few weeks and really digging it.

Before I had been using the AI with a Wizzy 12 M-Line and while the sound is good it is more than I want to carry for most gigs. I went back to using my GK combo and liked it for small stuff but the sound gets pretty dicey pretty quick. I bought the extension cab to use with the combo and while the sound is good and louder it approaches the "more than I want to carry" range. On a whim I decided to try the extension cab with the AI. Pretty damn good. More headroom and less of a colored sound than just the combo. Great portability.

You do have to set the HPF so the really low lows are not going to the speaker or it gets a little muddy sounding... at least with my Realist.

All that said I only ever use my amp for stage monitoring or smaller rooms. If it is a bigger room I send a mic signal through the PA.

I am trying this setup at a larger jazz club room in South Bend IN tonight so I'll report back. They have a nice PA so will I run my mic (Beta57, H-Clamp) out to the house. This is the largest room I've tried this rig in yet so we'll see.

6. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I did actually try the MBX extension cab in the past too. I posted here on TB that I weight it and it was actually heavier than the published specs.

7. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm going to try the Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T and 8T combos on Monday. I'll try them with the Shuttle head and with the Clarus SL and see how they do. Perhaps I'll end up going with the one of those and using an extension cab for bigger gigs. So much gear and so little time to try it all...

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    How'd you like it?

9. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    If you have a chance to try a BagEnd, I was amazed at how natural an older single 12 cab sounded with a Clarus while attending a jazz show a couple of days ago.

Also, having your speaker on a stand and angled up at your head helps a lot too when you need some extra volume.

I play in a fairly loud blues band and I have never needed an extension for my 200MB once I put it in a stand.

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Have you tried the Wizzy M line 12 yet? Clarus should drive it fine. While it's not as light as the 10 it's a pretty easy schlep.

11. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    not that im too smart, but it seems like if you want more low end you are gonna want to get a 12 inch speaker. I would think that a ten inch will give you more of the same as the wizzy 10. I have both the the wizzy 10 and the MBX extension speaker. The wizzy 10 is awesome with a gk head which seems to smooth out the wizzy's mids, but the MBX has more low end to it. And the MBX might be a hair heavier but its easier to carry than the wizzy. I play entirely too loud gigs and am leaning towards the wizzy because it gets so much louder. And at those levels i would have to roll off the bass in the MBX anyways. I would love to hear your review of the shuttle though. When I tried one it sounded good, but the salesman had the damn thing turned all the way up with the bass maxed out.

12. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Have you thought about , or has any one tried a 2x8 like the Aguiar Jack Casady?
    Seems that type of config would work well for DB. I am using a GK RBX210 sitting on one of those Gramma pad things. Still roll off a lot of lows. Stage is a bit boomy anyway. But I've been thinking about either the JC or an EarCandy box.

13. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    From the Aguilar website:

A cabinet that is perfect for any bassist who wants big studio quality sound in a cab that is easy to get around.

50 lbs! I guess it's all relative!

14. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes the thought has occurred to me. I've wondered about Bag End and Bergantino...

15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Adrian,
    I might get tarred for this one, but go buy a bag of poly-fill at your local discount or hobby store. Pull the grill and driver out of the wizzy and pack it in there, just so it's full, but not tight. I have a hunch that would be similar to the new 'fix' EA is talking about. That would kill some mids and smooth the sound. If not, you will have spent $2.00 on the makings of a pillow. :D

The only damping in that little box is a single sheet of 1" foam. That prolly contributes to the 'live' sound and efficiency of the 10, but does little to damp nasty resonances inside the box.

16. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Yep.
    The Wizzy 10 will go much louder than an MB150 and sound better when it gets anywhere near the limit of the little GK. I agree that the GK speaker seems to have more in the low mids.

Since you already have the grill off the wizzy, maybe you should try the poly-fill too. Go ahead, be the lab rat.:D
    You talked me into gambling $75 on a microphone gamble and that worked out.;)

17. arseniotall

arseniotall

Dec 24, 2005
    dc
    well you know my knowledge of speakers...LOL. I'm not sure i'm the one to be a lab rat, but I'm tempted. I actually think that my MBX speaker has something in it also because I had two and my first one was alot lighter and sounded a lot more like a metal box. Maybe the newer ones have some insulation in them. Sure seems like it to me.

18. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I seem to remember the GK150 being an empty box. It's been awhile but I don't think there was anything in there.

Go ahead. I dare you to remove those four screws. Dare. :p

baby steps, baby steps......... So, what about it, Bob.....?

19. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was reading up on the Phil Jones gear - trying to find experiences about the 4B which is hard to do since "4B" is too short to search on. Found this interesting thread on the dark side about the PJB stuff.

20. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Adrian, I knew I remembered one in-depth review of the 4B in this forum. Here it is if you haven't seen it yet.