1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAS-aholics Anonymous

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Aug 27, 2007.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I actually searched and found nothing for this. I think it is LONG overdue!

Hello, my name is Adam. And I am a GAS-aholic. It's been 6 days since I've had my last GAS attack. Since getting my Spector Euro neckthru and completing my Aguilar rig though, I've been able to stay on the wagon. I almost had a relapse a few days ago but I weighed the options - pay for school and eat vs. new bass - and concluded that even though a new bass might be more satisfying in the short term, it would probably only stick around for a few months at most before I'd sell it to buy a new one, and that education is probably more valuable in the long run and food is always a plus at anytime.

:smug:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    My name is Chris, and although I have a great rig I'm perfectly content with, my dreams are haunted by graphite necked basses. Status are to blame.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Although I have a bass on the way, I'm not really GAS-sy anymore. I know what I like. I know my finances, and I can't have every bass I like. That knowledge has given me a certain amount of peace.:cool:

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    GAS is all consuming.

Current gas: a sweet Fender-esk 5'er.

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Hi, my name is Brandon, and I'm GAS-ing for a Marcus Miller 4...

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Had some reaffirmation today that my current rig is as good as it gets (for me) from a guitar playing buddy of mine.

7. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Well now that your rig has been sullied by the opinion of a guitar player, you need to replace it. Now.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I recently found myself GASing for more gear while my last purchase was still in-transit.

Well, maybe it's not really that bad. . . I mean, I was waiting for a cab to be delivered and I was GASing for a bass. It would be a different story if I were already shopping for more cabs -- then I'd have a problem.

See, I don't have a problem. It's my wife and the rest of the world that has the problem.

Don't tell me when I've had enough! I'm a big boy, I know when I've had enough bass!

Besides, I just want one more. This will be the last one, I swear.

One day at a time, Pookie -- one day at a time.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I have the deadliest GAS of all, Alembic GAS! Oh dear, but I've lived with it for a long time.

10. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    i don't see why there's any problem with being a GAS-aholic. I personally, am not a gas-aholic. i make my dreams (of owning gear I want) I reality. its called layaway. its probably my best friend in the entire universe. if anything, i'd say i'm a layaway-aholic...lol

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been doing better with my GAS. I don't have amp or pedal GAS anymore. But I still have Bass GAS.

12. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Now that I have an American Precision, my bass GAS is gone.

Now I just want a Bassman 300 Pro, and a 2x10 cab to go with my 2x12. :(

13. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    i G.A.Sed earlier today, a guitar strap and a tuner. i'm new to bass so it's not that bad now, but i'm sure it will get worse with time...

I will admit that I G.A.Sed over drums something awful

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    HAHAHA - GAS so expensive, you could put a down payment on a house with the money!

15. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    It's crazy, for the longest time, I was pretty content with what I had. Seriously, I was at a point where I totally didn't care about buying another bass (I had three, my first P-bass, an EDB-500, and a backup EDC-710). I had enough amp to hang with a couple half-stacks, and I was pretty satisfied with my ME-50B.

I dunno w t f happened. In the last few months, I've been really GASing over a way more powerful head. I've purchased FOUR more basses (another EDC-500, an LTD D-4, and two Rockbass Corvettes...the latter thanks to the GC sale). It's friggin strange. I make way less money now than I did over the last eight years (I was in the Air Force, now I'm back to being a poor college student). I used to dump all of my money into cars, but now it's almost completely transfered to GAS. Hmmm....from gas to GAS. Oh the irony.

16. im Not a GAS-aholic But i ama compulsive try and Put on Layaway-er.

I hate that but Damn it all sounds Sooooooooo GOOD!

17. Hello. My name is James and I am a GASoholic. I'm in severe want of a nice ABG tuned E-C, and another Alembic Orion, this time 6 string and fretted.

18. Check into the Orions, Epics, and Excel series. Top notch quality, an Alembic is an Alembic. And they don't look as messed up as the series ones :bag:

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    But it's the Series, Stanley Clarke and Mark King basses that I GAS over the most!

20. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Hello, my name is Josh. I am a GASaholic. :(

It all started two years ago when I started playing bass. Since then I have acquired a Musicman Stingray, Washburn T24 Taurus, Ibanez RD300, Ashdown Perfect 10 and an Ampeg rig. But the GAS... it still haunts me. :crying: I want a Spector... ANY Spector... and I'll do anything to get one!!! :rollno: