GAS ALERT! Schecter Custom 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Jul 20, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    So, after a long, hard mountain biking journey today, and before going home to shower, I stopped by the local music shop to see what was good. Boy, oh boy, did I find good.

They've only been in business a year, so before they had, well, used stuff, and cheapo guitar shop geetars and basses. Austin and the likes. Well, they're the only shop in town, and now that they've got solid business, they're getting better dealers.

They just signed on with Schecter, which I didn't know of till I walked in and saw the Stilletto Custom 4, Baron-H, and the Model-T. I've been wanting to play a Schecter for sooooo long, just on looks alone, and so I finally got the chance.

I drooled all over the Custom 4. The neck was exactly what I want in a 4. I've not played a jazz, but I can say that the neck was somewhere between Ibanez Soundgear and P-bass. Filling, but not enough to ruin the main course. I think I doodled around for about half an hour, and this thing was perfect Way lighter than my Ibanez, smaller body, yet it's still build of mahogany. The EMG's sounded great. I've never played EMG's, and these things still got a phat sound that I like, just not as much as the Bart's in my Ibanez.

I also doodled on the Baron, but the knobs kinda messed me up, I couldn't really figure em out.... too impatient. The body edges bothered me, and all I could really coax from it was great slap and string harmonics, courtesy of the birdge MM-bucker. The knobs are really sleek black barrel things. Really nifty.

So, I hope to put the Custom 4 on layaway soon. It's the red version shown here.
  2. The one in the more natural finish looks hawt.
  3. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I agree, so if the shop sells this one before I can get my hands on it, I'll ask 'em to order one in natural.
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've always said that EMG HZs really keep these basses from being something extraordinary. Plop a set of EMGs of your choice (and sound) and you'll really have a great bass. Keep the 2-band pre. It's an EMG as well.

My Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 with EMG 35Js is as versatile as I can possibly ask it to be without having dual coils + tap...which I'll do on my next bass.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  6. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Dude - someone cut the middle of the pickguard out.
  7. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    If only it was 35" scale...
  8. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    For a 4 stringer? All their fives are 35" scale.

But in reference to the EMG Hz's: I didn't mind 'em, but I do hear that the DC's are much better pickups. I found a place online that sells em, as well as EMG EQ systems, so if all else fails, I'll upgrade to those with a 3 band, cuz I love me a mid control.
  9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The Stiletto Studio models have 3 band EQs. Here's a pic of mine :) :