Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS alert! Wal Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Im a sock, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I've never even played one or seen one up close, but man... I am falling in love with them just by their looks alone (I know... it's shallow). Can lucky Wal owners post pics of their basses and if possible a sound clip? I'd love to hear how they sound (in a non-Tool setting). Something tells me the catch is price though. Any ballpark figures on how much one of these costs?

2. well....i know one person that does own a wal...and yes i feel your pain of wanting to own one myself,but.... anyway.... try gettin a hold of jason newsted.... haha... i dont know if youll have luck tho.

3. If you like pics, you'll probably want to visit the Wal site at http://www.walbasses.com

I've had a few Wals in the past. The black one's gone and the shedua one is in the Wal shop getting updated, but here are the last two I've had:

[​IMG]

As for price, there was a price increase last year, the first in a long time. You'd want to call a dealer like Bass Central for current prices, but I believe you're currently looking at something over $3500 for a new one.

Mike

4. Yeah, there are actually Talkbass members who've owned Wals.

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Another brand on my list of basses I'd like to try but have never actually seen.

Geddy Lee used to play Wals.

6. Here's my Mach I: Honduran Mahogany facings taken from the doorstep of an old English manor. One of 2 made from that particular piece of mahogany.

[​IMG]

7. And my Mach III 5 string. Figured maple facings and poly finish. Picture is from the Bass NW site. I don't have any good quality full shots but I plan on taking some soon.

[​IMG]

8. Here is a picture of my old fretless that I sold a while ago, but a real beauty.

[​IMG]

:bassist:
    Matthew

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've played a number of Wal basses through the years including the MIDI bass with Pete Stevens changing the patches for me (great bloke BTW). I also had the priviledge of having a very long phone call with Ian Waller before his untimely death. Both gentlemen had and have an enthusiasm and passion for bulding great basses.

Having said that I've never been able to pull the trigger on one. It's always been a combination of finding one I liked and not having the cash or having the cash and not finding one I liked. SH in UK these go for around £750 (yes I keep and eye on loot.com).

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    most of the Wals I've played have been heavy, and expensive.

And beautiful.
    And deliciously sonorous.

If I ever find the right deal on one, I'd definitely buy a fretless!

They are great, but I'd recommend checking one out before buying; they have a distinct personality- I'd make sure it fits you first.
    I suppose that goes for all basses though...

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Of the couple Wals that I've played, I dug them, but the price is a bit on the high side for me. I'd love to own a fretted 5, but that's a pipe dream if I ever heard one...

12. I am truly in love with my Wal Mach II F/L-5... moreso than any other bass I have owned or played. I've even ordered a fretted model, so you can expect the pics sometime next year. Here's a quick snap as an alternative to the pics of it on BunnyBass.

[​IMG]

13. MY GOD oddio... put some frets on that thing and I'd die of envy.

I'm a sock, Flea used a Wal on a lot of the songs from _Blood Sugar Sex Magic_, a couple of my Wal-ly favourites are "Suck My Kiss", and "Give It Away". Suck My Kiss has the most amazing growl I've ever heard in a bass tone.

As far as Geddy, a few Rush tunes I find really flaunt the Wal magic would include "The Big Money", "Middletown Dreams", "Show Don't Tell", and "Superconductor".

Other Wal-bangers? Colin Moulding used one for a lot of XTC's brilliant _Oranges and Lemons_. Try "The Mayor of Simpleton", "One of the Millions", or "Merely a Man"

That should keep you busy for a while...

--jeff

14. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It seems like Wal GAS is going around right now. Bad malady. Only one cure.

If you can, try to download "Revolution" by Rage Against the Machine and Tool. Justin doesn't seem to be using a pick (and, yes, I can tell the difference between Justin's sound and Tim C.'s), so it shows off a more typical Wal sound - intensely cutting low-mids, as opposed to Justin's usual sound. There's a part where it's just him playing, and it gives you a good start on what Wals are known for. On the Yahoo group,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/walbassesnaturally/

there's a soundfile of the Wal in various preamp settings. But it's not really the best recording, and, it doesn't really show off the true sound of a Wal; it's more there to give you an idea of what the controls are capable of.

Attached is the pricelist Steve Chesney sent me. it's in pounds, but Gard told me a 6-string starts at $3999, so you can estimate for whatever model you're after.

15. Hey there Oddio just wondering what the that thing cost you by the time it got to your door. Thats a beautiful bass :eek: I've been thinkning about getting one of those myself fo a while. If you don't feel like posting the price here could you Email me at sweetlowend@msn.com

Thanks, a fellow canadian TB'er.

16. some other Wal users-

JJ Burnel on The Stranglers' "Gospel according to the men in black" album eg. "turn the centuries turn" "second coming" "hallowed to our men" and "bearcage" and "who wants the world" singles.

Derek Forbes on Simple Minds' "Sparkle in the rain" album eg. "speed your love to me" and I think it might be the main line on "Waterfront" too.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    One more: Greg Edwards on (I believe) all three albums by Failure.

Well, and two more, as nobody's mentioned Mick Karn or Percy Jones yet.

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I really like the looks of the Wals, but the weight rules them out for me. I've only seen and held one Wal bass, a five-string that was available for only a short time in a local shop before it was picked up by some lucky person. I never played it amplified, it felt very solid, but also way too heavy. This seems to be a common "problem" with their basses.

19. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    [​IMG]

What does this remind you of?

............this perhaps? :eek:

[​IMG]

20. I had a 5 from 1988, so I know what you mean. Many of the older 5's were mighty heavy, but the newer ones seem less so. The MkIII's in particular seem a lot lighter and more comfy...

Mike