Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS Almost Got Me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The last two days, I almost went to GC and bought a Bongo SC/H five string. I finally decided not to because when I really thought about it, I realized that was more interested in getting a Bongo because of threads I have been reading than because of any real musical need. That said, the Bongo certainly has more powerful and brilliant sound than my Ibanez RD505, however, I really like my Ibanez. I have no problems with its tone or playability. I should add that my Ibanez was bought as a backup to my Lakland Skyline 55-02. It's not like I don't have a bass of similar quality to the Bongo.

I'm not blaming TB for almost wasting money, but the thrill of participating in threads and describing my latest purchase can be addictive. I'm just glad that i slowed down and listened to the voice in my head instead of letting adrenalin guide me in making a decison. I just wanted to share this thought with you guys.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Cool!

I have had low-level bongo 5 GAS for a long time now, but keep fighting it off. In my case its because there's not any near me to check out (just 4's)...and I have a very hefty Dingwall coming my way eventually.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That was very foolish, Dr. Cheese! Now you'll have to be punished! Release the hounds!

Hey, a person who listens to that 3 second voice of reason is a true man!

4. Just buy it!!!:bassist: go on.......you know you want to:hyper:

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I never said I didn't want it! :) I just don't have a legitimate musical need for one at this time. If I were unhappy with a bass, then I could see getting it, but that is not the case.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

My friend,

this kind of thinking is non-sensical. I mean, think about it, if one refrained from buying a bass everytime one was happy with other instruments that you might have in your possession, you'd never have a room full of sweet, sweet...curvy, sexy basses. :)

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, as a proud Bongo owner, I think I won't find a mass-produced bass that makes me happier. That said, I have low-level G.A.S. for a Rickenbacker 4003.

8. Whelp! That's pretty much how it works.

Beside the lack of funds, the only thing that can beat down GAS is practicality. If I gave into every little GAS attack, I would have a second mortgage and a room full of pretty basses. :p

Anytime I see something I really, really want, but don't need, I use the "sleep on it" rule. If I forget about at all, I know the GAS will go away.