1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAS and Gear Minimalism

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I posted this in another thread, but I'm interested enough to post here again to hear thoughts from folks.

GAS can be evil, but I do thinking that trying/buying lots of stuff can help you determine a great fit for your needs/preferences.

It took me many years of owning wildly varying basses to get it right, but now I have a bass I really like. The question is "when is good 'good enough?'" Therein lies the rub, but I'm guessing many of us are well over the line.

Here is an interesting article (even if it is aimed at gu!tarists):

How to Become a Minimalist Musician | GuitarHabits.com

Just interested in hearing thoughts.

2. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I made the transition over the last few years. I faced the truth of realizing all I need is a fretted EB, a fretless EB, and my DB. The rest is focus and practice.

3. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Maryland Suburbs
    I'm starting to feel the same way. I've amassed a collection of basses that one day it will pain me to sell them. That day will be when I'm in my 60's and all I'll keep is two or three. That's twenty years away though so until then I'll enjoy every one. :) I can certainly appreciate not needing to have so much stuff. Basses are awesome. I enjoy the heck out a fine collection! :)

4. I'm down to one double bass, one P bass, one 300w combo and an ext cab. It's the least amount of gear I've had in 25 years, and it took me all that time (and money) to figure it out! :bawl:

I still get gas though..... it's all TalkBass's fault.....

5. Cheers. Our of curiosity, do you feel your gear ever gets in the way of your musical goals?

6. Congrats! Yes, TB is not the place to hang if you're looking to keep a lean stock of gear. Unless you hang in the "Instruction/Technique" sections :)

7. Amps? :)

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I wish I could tell you! All of my gear is good enough, yet I'm way over the line...and I still want more.

9. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    I have settled on one simple criteria for my gear; if I can use it regularly, I keep it. Because of that, I still have three amps, all of which I can use over the course of a weekend.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sheesh, what do clothes choices have to do with it? T-shirt, jeans and sneakers or flip flops? FLIP FLOPS??? Wouldn't last 30 seconds on one of my gigs.

I'll admit, though, that other than a handful of effects and a wireless, his advice about guitar is exactly what I do. One acoustic, one electric (a Strat copy with a humbucker in the back), one amp (though I did buy a second little one a few years ago because it was old and cute). But I only do a handful of guitar gigs in a year and only did one last year, so it makes no sense to go more nuts when my stuff is good enough for what I do.

Can't do it for bass, though. Almost bought a 95 Precision tonight, as a matter of fact, but bailed after a closer evaluation. I envy those who do it out of choice, but I spent too long with one bass and one amp because of not having any money, and now I'm emotionally scarred, so now that I have a little money, I have to compensate for my inadequacies ;)

11. That rule makes a lot of sense.

12. HA! Yeah, he lost me with the clothes thing too.

If memory serves, you're a touring pro, so I'm thinking all bets are off in your case. Per the aforementioned rule, I'm guessing you don't have much you don't regularly use.

13. Most of us are in the same boat. But do you feel it ever gets in the way of your music...or your life for that matter?

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Excellent topic,
    I used to be one of those "stable of basses" & "multitude amps and cabs" kind of guy. It's nice to have lots of "stuff" but it can become a pain. On occasion I do get little hints of GAS but I've learned to fight it pretty good. I believe I'm currently as minimalist as "I" can get.

1 - 5 string EB
    1 - micro head
    1 - 212 cab
    1 - 112 combo
    1 - multi FX unit
    1 - power amp
    2 - 112 wedge monitors

yes I like 12's :)

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I currently have no bass, so I guess I took it to the extreme. Still have an amp though.

16. Seems reasonable. Out of curiosity, could you get by with 2 Neox 12s, and ditch the 212 and combo? (obviously that would be potentially expensive and possibly a PITA)

Also out of curiosity, what are the wedges for? You aren't normally provided good stage monitoring?

17. LOL! Yes, that's certainly the extreme.

Poor Steve is in crisis. Steve, it seems like you are really happy with your flexible little rig. You just need a bass that you like in the same way. I can't believe after all the basses you've tried and owned you don't know what you like yet?

BTW, not sure if you remember - I bought/traded that purple Modulus Fretless Q5 from you like...7 years ago? :)

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell

Neox 212 and 500w micro head are main rig.
    But one group I work with run Marshal 1/2 stacks x2. So I run the 112 combo on top of the Neox 212 through 1000w power amp for 3x12 vertical array to keep up. (micro head delegated to back up on that gig)

I play covers & also do some fill work so monitors are used on an as needed basis and also double as home stereo gear :D

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've got 9 basses now, 4 of which I hardly use at all anymore. I have a box of pedals too, of which I was using as many as 8 while I was experimenting, but scaled down to one. So yeah, I have a lot of stuff I don't regularly use.

20. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    True confession time: I have more guitars than basses.

But I have more bass rigs than guitar- and the basses get played way more.

So right now, 3 complete electric basses, used for different projects, and three projects in the workshop. Should be enough... fingers crossed.