GAS!!! argh it won't go away! (pic)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That much for an after-Gibson Tobias? Are they good?
  2. Gibson bought Tobias? I didn't know, I don't pay attention to that stuff. All I know is this pic makes my pants tighter.

3. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i played an after gibson tobias and i thought the b string was made of yarn. i think it was a basic 6. for like 2000 you should expect more out of something gibson. on a side note...
    anyone like the gibson RD artist bass?that's numero uno on my gas list except my custom conklin i'm ordering sometime in march
  4. What Tobias model was it that you played?
  5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    For $500.00 less you can get a new Elrick GS5 with an AAA figured deck that will play circles around that Tobias.
  6. Elrick? Never heard of it, I play metal, I doubt it would work well it that scenario. At this point I'm thinking of Spector Euro5.
  7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    You've never heard of it? How are you so sure it wouldn't be PERFECT for that "metal" scenario????????
  8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Not pointy enough.
  9. Otherwise, I'd have heard of it. 50% of basses out there aren't cut out for heavy metal.

I got a bone to pick with those damn "boutique" basses :rolleyes:

As for pointy - Yeah, if I can't throw it in a crowd and kill a few people, forget it :D
  10. Get a warwick Vampyre then, and a Spector isn't exactly pointy, more curvy. Have you considered a peavey Cirus? They're nice an pointy and I have just disocvered the BXP models, which are gonna be getting a test run before I pick my next bass!
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Welcome back Nick...
  12. You gotta be kidding, right?
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Why care when you can't hear the bass over the rhythm guitars anyway? Settle with a Squier and increase the "image" budget instead. May not get you into tonal heaven, but at least you'll get more chicks. ;)
  14. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Nick- I get the feeling our friend is considering a Spector Euro 5 because Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse plays one and he's as metal as metal gets. Very good bass player too. He also plays a Modulus Quantum 5.

Someone mentioned the Peavey Cirrus. Doesn't Lamb of God's bassist play one?

And I've seen metal played on a wide variety of basses. Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and Martin Mendez of Opeth use Fender Jazz basses. Kevin Hannum of Luddite Clone used a Stingray. Or there is always ESP basses. Tom Araya of Slayer has an ESP sig model. Lots of metal people seem to like Ibanez and Warwick. And Sean Malone used a fretless Kubicki bass and a Chapman Stick for Cynic's "Focus" album. I never throught fretless could be used in a metal context till I heard that. (I don't know much about Chapman Stick, but I do know it's never used in a metal context.)

I'd avoid that Tobias, though. I hear the stock electronics aren't that good and don't have enough output/volume to really cut through the mix, especially in a metal band. For the price of that Tobias, you can get a MUCH better bass.

And if you want total metal pointiness, may I suggest a Moser Custom Shop Morpheus bass? I know Tony Lazaro of Vital Remains plays Yavcon guitars (who joined forces with Moser).
  15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    When they were here, he only brought the Modulus.
    With Flea having a sig bass, that isnt really a metal-bass, but it looks like it only matters Garrett, Alex can cut it on that, too

Steve plays a P. He also had a sig model

And the construction is as-is, and the price is Gibson...

If you really want a good bass by Micheal Tobias, then get a 434/534/634/435/535/635. Way more of a bass...
  17. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Tobias basses, are they at all related to MTD? meaning Michael Tobias Design?

or is it a totally different company?
  18. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    That has to be the funniest thing I've heard since "These go to 11."