GAS Attack!!! Help Fender Aerodyne / Squier Standard P Bass Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Platypus13, May 9, 2021.

1. Eric Huber

Eric Huber

Aug 20, 2019
    Baltimore
    I have an Aerodyne had it for several years. The tone is slightly different than my J Bass. The looks alone will make you smile. Its a PJ bass but it just has more bite then the J Bass does. Since you didn't post a price I cant really comment on that but I did a GC trade mine and it is worth every penny. I love mine. If its in good shape and in good shape i would move on it. Its a great instrument.

2. Two pages into this thread and no Aerodyne pic yet? Fix (although there are better ways to do this beauty visual justice):

C0wJven.jpg

C Stone likes this.
  3. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    The Aerodyne is a special instrument. It is SO comfortable to play, it sounds good with the stock pickups, and it's a beauty! The neck is outstanding, the most comfortable neck of any bass I've owned or played. I can't directly compare it with the Squier, but it is hard to find a better bass for the money than the Aerodyne, even with the cost of upgrades. It's a tossup for being my number one right now, vying with a Fodera that was over six times the cost. The Aerodyne will probably end up being my #1 gigging bass because it fits what my band plays a little better and I won't have to worry about drinks, drunks, or other hazards when we get back out there.

I've done a few upgrades on mine. I put in the EMG Geezer pickups, which eliminated noise from the bridge pickup and also gave it a little beefier tone. It went from a great playing bass that sounded good to a great playing, great sounding bass.

I put in a black Hipshot bridge, which did not change the tone or sustain in the least (it already had sustain for days), but looks good and allows for adjustments in string spacing. Mostly a cosmetic change, though, as the stock bent plate bridge looks and works just fine.

I also put in a drop-D tuner. This was not available in smoked chrome, so I used just plain chrome. It is truly something that no one would ever notice unless they looked really closely in bright light. My bandmates did not notice that it was a different color chrome on the drop tuner.

4. Platypus13

Platypus13

Mar 3, 2021
    That’s just like the one in question! Currently in the midst of arranging a time and place to make the transaction with the seller. I can’t wait. All the responses have me so stoked about this bass!!!

5. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Yeah that routed out bridge space on the aerodyne detered me i moved on because I didnt feel llike filling the groove in the body to replace that bridge. Also be aware a few Aerodynes look the same but are actually 3/4(medium)scale. My buddy bought one & i thought it was a lil weird cause the other aerodynes were a little different. turns out there's medium scale version out there not specifically Id'd!the typical J/Jpup config, notP/J config! cool tho' GL

6. Platypus13

Platypus13

Mar 3, 2021
    Anyone jump in and correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I’ve seen, the 3/4 scale Aerodyne’s as well as any that have pickguards or PUP configurations that aren’t P/J are all “non-export” models, which were originally only meant for the Japanese market and weren’t sold elsewhere

7. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Hey thanks for that, good info. Appreciate it! :thumbsup:

8. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

That's all I got. :D

Platypus13 likes this.
  9. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Most comfy bass I own, played it for 6 hours the other day (with a guitarist and a drum machine), just a cuppla cocktail breaks.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  10. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Yes, the Aerodynes with the pickguard are non-exports. I got mine sent from Japan (they occasionally come up on the U.S. market). The only significant difference on the U.S. model is the strat style jack. Get the Dyne.

11. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    Y'all stop it. I'm getting GAS.

12. Platypus13

Platypus13

Mar 3, 2021
    Aaarrrrgh! [email protected]$&£>F#%~*+ weenie sold it on me, out from under my nose. We had terms agreed upon and a time set up to meet and next email I get is to let me know he sold it just then and “good luck”. Yeah, get bent dude. I did everything I could to make this one work, seller just turned out to be a lame a** weasel I’m not bitter or anything though :wink:

I am super bummed, and even moreso cause of how stoked all the replies here got me on this bass. Now I might be a little obsessed so thanks everyone, haha.

Seriously though, thanks for all the replies & info

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021