Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS attack: I wanna Fender Custom Shop Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, May 7, 2005.

1. ...and I'm nervous about asking, mostly because I can either almost afford it or I absolutely can't.

Here's the idea: Vintage Reissue Jazz Bass modeled on a 1955 Precision. Maple neck, only thin vintage Jazz like the stackpot reissue I've been playing for 22 years. Tobaccoburst. White pickguard. And one single coil bridge pickup, tone and volume. No bridge pickup, just like the old Tele bass I let get away in 1990.

Somebody tell me this is a good idea... :bag:

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Warmoth?

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    +1

You can call Warmoth and get pretty darned close to what you want, if not exactly the same spec's.

A custom Fender is gonna be unbelieveably expensive. For that kinda money I'd be more inclined to get a top end Sadowsky or Lakland.

...but that's just me.

I've been very, very happy with Warmoth when it's come to them customizing instruments to my taste.

4. timinator

timinator

May 8, 2005
    Those Custom Shop pricetags are hilarious...unless you don't even play and need a vintage look for a photo shoot or something, don't be a sucker. You're nervous for a very good reason; Fender is trying to rob you.

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, get another company who's known for making good Fender-type bass to make it for you. The custom shop stuff may be nice, but it's way too expensive.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If YOU want a Fender Custom Shop bass and nothing else will do, then get one. Whether others think it is worth the money doesn't matter; only what you think. Fender CS is capable of turning out some very nice basses.

I won't disagree there are other choices. I have Lakland USA Joe Osborne (bought used) which ended my search for a pre CBS Jazz and if I wanted another J I would get another or see what Mike Lull, et al, had available. Bottom line: Get what makes you happy; not someone else.

7. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I agree - Lakland has nailed it. I would take some of that money you want to spend and fly to Bass Central in Florida. They have a huge collection of Laklands you can try out. I don't think you'll leave without one. I have a 55-94 that can nail a number of Fender sounds, and they have Jass and Precision models also - as well as a few hybrids.
    Good Luck from Las Vegas!!! :bassist:

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Valenti

9. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Hey, I'm in the DC area too.

I like your idea for a bass but if you don't go for it, check out the custom shop Jazz bass in Action music. I want it but need something that I wouldn't worry about so much while crazy stage antics are going on.