1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS attack! I was at an auction.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGen, Jun 4, 2011.

1. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    A music store in Toronto has an auction every June. As usual I attended and today I joined the MarkBass fraternity.

Got a Little Mark II amp and a New York 604 Cabinet. They were auctioned separately. Both are new items though I do suspect they were floor models. Still, at $900 for the pair I think I did OK.

The sound is quite impressive with this pair. The VLE and VPF controls really let you create a lot of tones. I will likely try out the head with some other cabs (Like one of my Mesa 410's) but so far I am impressed. I may have passed on these but I had my eye on the LM head after reading reviews here and then last night I went to see a band and the bass player was playing through a MarkBass 1x12 combo and the sound was fantastic so I decided to jump in.

Respond if you want. I'm pretty happy with what I got and thought I'd tell the TB forums about my GAS.

2. What store?

3. James_E

James_E

Jan 26, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I assume Cosmo music in Richmond hill? This weekend is the big sale and auction.

Congratulations! !

4. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Correct Sir!

5. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Maybe next time I' ll go. I live nearby.

Friedrich

6. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    It can be hit or miss. 2 years ago I got a bunch of PA stuff so we don't have to rent any gear anymore to do a gig. Last year there wasn't much I was interested in and the stuff I was mostly got bid up past what I was willing to pay. It's kind of a fun day though.

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    If there's no pics, it didn't happen! :p

8. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I only have a really crappy dark pic on my phone so far. I'll get a better pic up some time soon.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Congrats on getting some of the finest gear there is. You will especially love the LM amp. Which 112 combo did you see? I have the 121H, and it is awesome for a 112. Recently added a 15" to it (151P cab) and it is now supernatural.

10. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Oh, I wanted to ask you. Did they have F basses in the auction?

Is it the whole store?

11. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Not sure why I missed this question but I did.

I don't know what you mean "F" basses unless you mean "Fender".

If so, the answer is sometimes. I got my P bass there last year. Went a bit higher than I wanted to but not higher than I would have had to pay at even the cheapest online place.

This year it was all MM basses as I recall. I came really close on one but it went higher than I was really willing to go. I think if I'd gone higher I could have got it but I figured I could find one at that price if I really wanted it anyway even if it meant going 2nd hand.

The auction is not the whole store. It's a mix of new, used and demo gear. Usually about 125 separate items. Some low-end stuff to clear out and some really, really high end stuff.

12. I believe he means F basses - made just down the road from you. If you haven't checked them out you should - one of Canada's great exports!