1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAS Attack! (Or, I'm a sucker for German basses)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Ron Plichta, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Saw this bass on J.R. Judd's site (it's the first one):

http://www.jrjuddviolins.com/instruments/basses_int.html

It's all laminate and proportioned similarly to my Czech bass except it's a D neck (mine's an E flat). The previous owner was a Judd employee who passed away. I'm thinking about trying it out as a consideration for jazz use or as a backup to current bass.

2. Nice folks in that shop. We dropped in last summer during a road trip to a family reunion, and they were very gracious. Jeff even took the time to give my daughter and I the grand tour of the workshop, etc. after I played (and critiqued, at his request) every bass in the showroom.

I hope it works out for you. Nothing I played there moved me, except for the very spendy Shen 800, but I'd love to have a good excuse to put some money into their pockets.

3. The folks at Judd's are definitely a class act, and great to do business with.

On that note, I'll also mention another class act, Mike Shank in Elizabethtown (which is also a little less of a drive from where you live). He has a few early 20th century German basses on THIS PAGE, one Violin-cornered, and a multitude of German Gambas.

4. There's a Thompson ply in the classifieds right now, in Richmond. Seems like a great price.

5. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    I PM'd him and haven't gotten an answer back. Oh well.

6. BeSharp

BeSharp

May 17, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    The Thompson is listed on Craigslist too. I emailed him via Craigslist and he did respond. This was awhile ago before I bought my Kay. He didn't accept my offer so I moved on but he's come down about $300 since then. Try the Craigslist email and I bet he'll get back to you.