Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS attack - Sadowsky in Canada?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Subculture13, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Ok, I am in the hunt for a new bass. After doing a ton of looking around online, I am strongly leaning towards Sadowsky. There seems to be a number of people here who are great references for the basses it seems. (Multiple people owning multiple Sadowsky basses).

I already looked over the website, but am left with a few unanswered questions. Rather than emailing the company, and have to wait who knows how long for a reply, I thought it wouldn't hurt to run it up the flagpole here first. The odds are I can get most every answer I need from a select few here.

I get the impression that custom orders are available, so they "should" be able to make what I want, as they hint at it online anyway.

Here is the rundown:
    I found reference to a bass on their site (the only fretless they list) I pasted in it's specs, but with a few changes to reflect what I want

STYLE: Standard 4-string Fretless
    FINISH: Trans Black if not available then Vintage Sunburst
    WOOD: Flame Maple Top on Swamp Ash
    FINGERBOARD: Ebony with Maple Fretlines
    PICKGUARD: None
    HARDWARE: Black
    PICKUPS: Sadowsky Humcancelling

Would this be a custom shop thing?
    Does anyone know the ballpark figure of such a bass?
    I assume that they only sell direct, has anyone in Canada bought one before?
    What can I expect as a delay before seeing the bass if I entered an order?

2. I sent Roger Sadowsky an email with a few questions on his bassse about 3 years ago. He replied to me the same day. Same thing a couple years before that when I bought his preamp. So if you have any questions, don't be shy. From what I have heard and from personal experience, Roger is very customer oriented.

I too am in Canada and got quotes from Dave Freeman at Club Bass (clubbass.ca) in Toronto. Dave is also very quick to answer questions. I ended up buying a slightly used Lakland for a good price. If I recall, the Sadoswky bass, shipped from NY or through the canadian dealer would have ran around CDN$5,500. Check out club bass, they have some Sadowsky basses on their website.

Good luck.
    Rocky

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I bought mine from Dave at clubbass.
    NIce guy to deal with.

4. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Thanks guys, this is the second time that Club Bass has come up recently (I have Lakland on the list of things to try out in my hunt for the next bass purchase). I think I should just bite the bullet and make the trip into the city to check the place out. If I can see Lakland and Sadowsky in the same room, that alone is reason enough to go there.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Call him before for availabality (it's not a bog store!) you need an appointment anyway.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    definitely Club Bass.

nice guy and nice site that seems to be updated frequently.

besides Roger's supremem work, they have some really purdy Rob Allens.

AND Ken Lawrence.

f

7. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I checked out the website, I am led to believe that an appointment is only needed if it is off hours. Either way I will definitely check the place out, it seems like the place to go to get something that is not your standard bass. (No Fender, Ernie Ball, etc, which is very cool to see a business like that)

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would buy directly from Roger, as the others have said you will get a response back usually within a day of the question, their good like that. Roger is also open to custom colors. I hope you get a Sadowsky they truly are the creme of the crop.

9. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I once called to get the feel for the vibe and Roger treated me like I was a king. Truly great customer service!!! They seem to really have it figured out. BTW, i had the pleasure of playing one of Rogers four strings... and they are amazing!

10. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    If I go all the way and get a custom shop, Roger has already contacted me and told me that he can do all that I want. (Standard 4 with Ebony fretless, Transblack finish on Swamp Ash with flame maple top, dual J pickups)

He never did give me a final price, but I also never directly asked, may have to do just that. See how far in debt my obsession is putting me this time.

No doubt about it though, he has A1 on the service level. I put this thread up as a general enquiry, and the man himself responded directly within the hour. That is a level of service that you just see anymore these days.

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm about to make my second purchase from Club Bass. Dave Freeman is an exceptionally knowledgeable guy. Quite a departure from most of the guys selling basses in the big-name music store chains. He's a nice guy and easy to do business with. You'll never find someone who believes in the products he sells like Dave believes. He almost makes you think that a product is good BECAUSE he sells it.

12. I asked Dave about the Sadowskys arriving in stock this spring - he said they are the Japan Sadowsky models for now. I imagine he could special order a NY model for you prepaid, but stocking a $5K CAD bass is not a smart thing, especially with the USD still falling. Staying competitive by providing top notch products in stock at a reasonable price (same reason he stocks Lakland Skyline Series vs USA) while watching the market carefully is one of the main reasons he is still in business with such a highly specialized shop.

And everyone here is right about buying from Dave - he is a great guy, very knowledgeable, honest and fun to deal with.

He could use a new hairstyle though.... :smug: :eek: