1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS Attack! What are your thoughts on my possible new purchase?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Apr 15, 2010.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007

I was not aware that Peavey was discontinuing the production model Cirrus bass. I have had a couple of US made Cirrus' basses and did like them, however they were always 4 strings, and I eventually sold them because I missed the low B string of my fiver. I had a Peavey Cirrus B.O. that I bought new at a super discounted price (I really loved that bass, and if it would've been a five string, I would still have it). The other bass was a Redwood, I liked it a lot as well, but again, the 4 string just wasn't getting much play, so I traded it.

Now that Peavey is discontinuing the Cirrus, I am thinking about picking up a new one.

Currently, I am playing a Music Man Stingray 5. I really like this bass, but I play in church and the Cirrus is a much better "church bass" not only visually, but sonically as well. The boutique sound definately fits with what I play better than the Music Man. Also, the Cirrus is quite more versatile as well.

I would really love to buy a new one, and have one of the last new ones made...I just hate that the Peavey name is looked at as low quality I guess. Another thing, I have always been negative towards neck thrus because I worry about the neck getting damaged, because then, your whole bass is damaged. I know...i'm paranoid.

What are your thoughts? I figure most of you will tell me to buy used, which I probably should do, but, I think I wanna stay with new.

Thanks!

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Buy new, get exactly what you want, and ask them to refrain from installing any badges and decals. it's a mystery boutique that is all you, and you know the story behind it.

/thread

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    badges and decals?

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Post subject: Re: Cirrus production ceased
    PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:25 am

The Cirrus Bass has not been discontinued. They are made to order in the Custom Shop, and the "production" models are being phased out. Those were all built in the Custom Shop anyway.

There are no plans that I am aware of to discontinue the BXP models.

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Buy used.
    Fantastic basses. Maybe the cheapest neck thru boutique bass out there. That B string is tigther and more focused than the Stingray (maybe due to its 35" scale). Keep in mind that 5ers have a narrower string to string distance.

6. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    My j worrell fiver has very wide string to string distance, wider than most four strings i have played. My g&l 5er on the otherhand seems unplayable nowadays....

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    No, Just the US production models. That's why I want one.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

The Cirrus will be a classic bass..

I have some inside notes.. yes this is a time to buy one if you ever wanted it.

Neck through.. I find them to be a little less work.

It is kind of the last chance to buy a production custom order bass domestically made.

I've owned about 7 Cirruses .. I think the Redwood sounded/looked the nicest.. If ordering custom, I'd also be going for the Midsweep Millenium preamp.. worth the extra $75.

Have you gone through the quoting process yet?

I own some of the oil finish basses.. not sure I'd custom order one.. they get beaten like an alembic.. not bad.. just not as classy as the gloss finish.

===

In full disclosure, I have thought about having a neck through production made... could be the last production line Peaveys avaialble.

Tim

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Right he was talking about the US models until the last line where he was talking about the imports,
    Bottom line is, there will be USA cirrus but they will all be called "custom shop". There is one hanging in a local store to me with the "custom shop" sticker on it. It has been there for a year.

Here's a link to the entire thread.
    http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10479&hilit=cirrus+custom

10. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I played a Cirrus BXP 5 in a local shop and it was awesome. I hope they don't discontinue them.