1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAS attack

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by way_of_opiatism, Apr 23, 2003.

1. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    well ive got bad gas right now. im torn between two new basses. on one hand id like a g&l sb-2 and on the other (which i played and was nearly sold on today) the fender american dlx precision.

i dont think im gonna have a chance to play the sb-2 before i bought it, id have to have it special ordered. the fender ive played and im in love. both are about the same in price i spose, the fender is 1200 and i think the g&l is about the same, although an old book listed it at 900. whats your opinions on these two basses, how do they compare tonally?

[​IMG]

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    also that fender would be with the rosewood board, i dont like maple too much.[​IMG]

3. Never played the G&L, but I have played the Fender. Really nice bass, set up well with a nice sound to it. Also really liked the looks. If you go to Guitar center I know their blowing out some stuff. My vote goes to the fender.

4. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I played both extensively before getting the G&L. IMHO the active electronics in the Fender really take away from the quality of tones produced buy the passive pickups. The G&L however is a MONSTER! Very hot signal but still very organic. Also I have owned 5 Fenders and 2 G&L's and the quality and construction of the G&L's are far superior to the Fenders.

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    personally, i'd go with the G&L, but if you tried the fender and "love" it, then i can't see why you'd even have this dilemma? seems like a no-brainer to me! :)
    (good luck, either way)