GAS but no CASH!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Feb 5, 2001.

1. ok i dont know if theres anyone else in the same boat as me, I'm 14, i want more gear, i cant get a job, and i'm broke, and Canadian stuff costs to much!!!!!!!

I paid about 800to900 bucks for my fenderfivestring MEXICAN STANDARD jazz bass(i believe stuff is cheaper in the states, if not just let me know), thats a good pricce here, yeeeessh. anyways does anyone else feel pain like me??

I want a Stingray five string, and an acoustic, and a good amp!!! but i have no cash :(

2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Funk,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)! This is a problem that, to one degree or another), we all have! I was 14 once, playing a really crappy Peavy bass and couldn't wait to get something of quality!

Well, now I'm 32 and have that same crappy Peavy bass. I didn't get another bass until I was 26, and traded that one for my current bass, which I've literally slaved away to pay for! Let me tell you that the most important thing is not the bass itself...that's just the money factor. The most important thing is that you enjoy playing.;)

If you're bored with your current bass and can't afford to expand, then perhaps you don't enjoy playing enough! I'd be happy still playing that old Peavy. But, working many years, scrapping and saving my hard earned dollars allowed me the luxury to spend a little on something for myself: a Spector NS-4.

Just keep dreaming of your ideal bass, and when you can afford it, there'll probably be something better for less than you think.;)
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My problem is I want to buy everything, from Spector's/Sadowsky's to MIM Fender's & Jay Tursers!!! Be happy with what you have rite now, play it to the bone, wear out the frets, bang it around. Then when you become awesome, start letting out some well deserved GAS. What if 6 months from now you don't want to play anymore after you buy all this gear?

4. I agree with RAM. When I was 13, I wanted an electric guitar real bad. I had'nt started on bass yet. My parents were not very well off, and my paper route paid peanuts, so I made one. I did'nt know anything, so it never had a truss rod. It was a real dog, I guess, but it was all I had, and I played it for two years, by which time I had saved enough for a better one. Strange thing was, I decided to sell it, and the guy who bought it, loved it! I read an article somewhere a while back, about poor African musicians, and they made do with a bass made of a kerosine tin, with a piece of wood stuck on for a neck, and who knows what for strings, but they were great musos, and enjoyed their music so much. I think, a lesson for all of us.
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    That's funny, I could get a job at 14.
  6. i dont know anywhere around here that gives fourteen year olds jobs. and i'm pretty lazy to look.

Yeah i got this jazz for christmas which was my one year mark, so now that i got something new i want everything, i was fine tell i got the new one!!

7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Being 14 with major GAS sux don't it? :D i'm not sure about you but i get an allowance [$40USD a month] & i save that for what i want to buy-last time it was an Ashbory now its going partially towards a cell phone & partially towards stockin up on things for my jazz & ashbory [string mainly] that way they don't come up as unexpected expenses later. Since you seem to have to pay for it on your own i know that you'll appreciate it that much more when you do get it. Thats all
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    $40???? :eek:

I dunno, kids today... :)
  9. i get ten bucks a week, but i have unquenchable desires for c.d.'s and movies to, so i blow it all, and i cant save up, GRRR!!!!!! i hate it, i do love my bass but i want more!!!! HAHAHAHAHAH MORE MORE!!!! i'm going insane.

i wish gear grew on trees :)
  10. Ok boys listen up...ya got no cash and raging case of GAS?

Start planning your first custom bass. I'm not kidding!

It is very easy to dream up, design, and purchase, part by part every single piece of a truly individual bass if you will excersize just a little patience. From ebay to all of the aftermarket parts vendors, you will find incredible deals on some very interesting and high quality pieces that, when assembled, will yield a bass that will truly kill!

Don't believe me? try this little jewel on for size:

A brief description: 2 piece flame maple body, birdseye maple neck with ebony fingerboard, Seymour Duncan Basslines pups, Schaller bridge, adjustable lash tuning gears, brass nut, Fender preamp (since changed but none the less active) and the parts were purchased over the course of 4 months for the stunning total of $386! Thats $96.50 per month. If you can't get together that small amount of beans, you just aren't trying hard enough. And don't say that you can't do it because you aren't technical enough. This was done in one way but there are dozens of other routes you can take to get similiar results. Just remember you don't have to have the latest flavor of the month in a brand new case to help get rid of your GAS. You just have to have the inspiration and the vision.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Hambone - when I was 14 I would have killed for a resource like the internet at my fingertips. There is the chance to find out evrything about building guitars/basses - if it's not actually on the net, you should be able to find out references to books that tell you about this and then order them from the local library. OK it will take some time - but that's the one thing you have on your side.
  12. wow, i've been shut down. haha, do you guys know of any supremely whoop to the ass sites for building and assembling tips??

13. I sympathize with you my friend. I am in nearly the same position as you, except im 15, broke and with baaaaddd GAS. Mines for a new amp though..It sucks.. i need a job, but dont want one...i have to eventually just snap and get one, and i suggest you do the same, because the GAS just gets worse when u sit at your computer looking at new Basses and Amps, and reading these message boards!
  14. i dont know of anywhere around here that hires til your sixteen
  15. Hey funkopotimus (I love that name!)

Try the MIMF - Musical Instrument Makers Forum. This forum is populated by luthiers and hobby builders. You will get TONS of info by just reading the posts and the archives.
  16. thanks man, i'll give that some in depth reading as soon as i get the chance(probbably the weekend)
    thanks again