GAS Caught Up With Me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is a cautionary tale. Sometimes the grass looks greener, but when you get in the pasture, you see all sorts of sticks and turds.
    As I posted earlier, I swapped my SR5 for a Fender Precision Bass Deluxe V, a really great bass, but it's slap tone couldn't cut for me.
    When I went back two and half days later, my SR5 had already been sold. I got a cash refund and picked up a nice bass from another dealer that I had actually owned before, a Peavey Millennium Plus five string (USA made.) In terms of quality of instrument, I have not lost anything, but I sure do wish I hadn't given up my SR5, it was a sweet bass.

You guys have all heard that story before and most of you have lived it. I just thought I would remind everyone that if you really like what you have, be very, very careful and sure before you let it go. This is especially true with holiday sales just around the corner.
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

Things are much better since I decided that I'm keeping my current bass and quit GAS'ing for something else. It does everything I need and it sounds and looks good while doing it.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

I hear ya loud and clear Doc. I've owned 3 different Stingray 5s and I missed each and every one of them when they went in GAS fits. I'll own #4 some day.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It just occurred to me that in a week, I had gone through a whole GAS evolution of sorts. I posted thread, "Do You Ever Want a Bass for No Good Reason" then I made those posts about that Fender Precision Deluxe V I got. Last night I posted about my regrets in losing a really sweet SR5 in the process of figuring out that Fender wasn't for me. I just hope I find myself where Steve C is and find some contentment with my current bass. I'm getting too old for the "I traded it away and now I regret it routine." :rollno:
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    "I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You gave the basses a good trial and you didn't like the sound. I feel the same way about MusicMan basses. IMO, they feel great, play great (especially the Sterlings) have excellent construction, fretwork, etc, but I cant get used to how they sound.... and I've owned about 10 of them. I try and try again only to be disappointed by the sound"QUOTE [NinoValenti]

Don't feel bad at least you not as slow of a learner as Nino! :D
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now that I have settled in with my Peavey Millennium Plus V, I'm really enjoying it. If you check my posts from earlier in the year, you would see that I thought this was a great bass. I just feel sort of wasteful though. If I had known that I would end the year with the same bass that I started it with, i would have saved a bunch of money with everything I got in between. I may just keep any future purchase low-end, like under $600 until I'm in a position to get a Skjold, Sadowsky, Celinder, etc. My threads may seem self obsessive, but I hope they may keep somebody from repeating my pattern.
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'm always wondering if there isn't something better than what I have. Rationally though I think that once you get to a certain quality level there isn't anything better, just different. Doesn't stop me from trying stuff out though.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Soooo true.
  9. Hey there Dr. Cheese, I for one understand completely as I am constantly trying to satisfy the quest for tone and at the same time retain the required tone that holds down the fort. I think the better a bass player gets the more he/she becomes tormented by the fact that even though we play a support instrument by nature, the need to express our own individual voice is always haunting us. I really don't think there is one bass that does it all, which is probably why so many bassists have a stable of instruments or atleast two different basses. Having several basses with different tones is obviously the ideal situation, however many bassists use only one instrument and thus GAS becomes a real problem. I have gone from Fender to Musicman to Alembic to Yamaha to even Peavey and back and forth so many times I have lost count, all because I thought the grass was greener. IMO, there are only a few real bread and butter type basses out there which is what most bassists are called on to sound like for the majority of the time. That's probably why so many bassists are going with Fender-esq instruments like Musicman, Sadowsky and F Bass to name just a few, as they give both the bassist and the musician inside us a chance to be heard. Personally if I had the scratch I would like to own both a Sadowsky and a Musicman SR5, that would pretty much satisfy everything I do on bass, but for now I have a Fender FMT 5 that will have to do. Sometimes better isn't better.