1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS. cure?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 50hz, Jun 27, 2012.

1. 50hz

50hz

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    seriously. has anyone found a cure or steps to take to keep it under control?

in case you don't know GAS = guitar acquiring syndrome.

I have been dealing with bad GAS for about 10 years, thousands spent to feed the addiction and I don't want to do it anymore. it has been an endless cycle of buying,trading,selling,returning. it had become so out of control that I recently sold ALL my gear and switched over to bass to avoid all the endless guitar gear, but I find myself jonesing over basses now.

has anyone tried to stop the cycle or have any advice?

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Divert yourself with constant practicing. ;)

3. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sudden unemployment (or otherwise loss of income) will put a stop to it....I speak from experience. :meh: ;)

Focusing more on playing music than gear might help. Next time you feel the urge to start looking up GAS inducing gear photos, stop and pick up an instrument instead, and get playing. Try limiting time spent on TB or other gear-oriented sites, or only read forums that talk about playing technique or other musical related subjects. I've been on TB for many years now but stopped visiting for a few years, I honestly was just too busy, plus I had other things that interested me and my spare time was taken up elsewhere. Turns out, TB and other musician forums is what was largely fueling my GAS.

Apart from that, my bass GAS pretty much went away when I bought a Sadowsky. But that may not be the solution for everyone. ;)

4. 50hz

50hz

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    so far some great advice!

5. I think it depends on why you aren't satisfied with your current gear.

If you're like a lot of golfers and think the newest, bestest gear will improve your game, then I would agree with the others - it's you and not the gear that makes you a better player. Practice more, wish less.

However, if bright and shiny (or old and beat up) is your drug, you may be hopeless. ;)

6. 50hz

50hz

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    I'm not one to go after the hype. I actually prefer mid level instruments because I don't have to worry about them getting damaged or stolen like I would a 3k one. I don't know what it is. maybe 50% indecisive and 50% looks/design of the "new one"

7. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    I'm pretty sure the GAS ends shortly after you die...

Good Luck & Happy Shopping...

8. 50hz

50hz

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    it's like if I see someone playing a violin bass, then I need one. if I see someone rocking a t-40, then I need one of those too. not because I think it will make me better, but out of appreciation for variety. problem is I don't really have the space, money, time, or will to deal with all that gear and I eventually " wake up" and say " man, I have too much stuff I don't use"

9. 50hz

50hz

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    lol, that's what I was afraid of...

10. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Great advice!!!

I've spent WAY too much $$$ updating my rig and adding gear this past 1-1/2 years....

Today was my last GAS day...I received a barely used Nordy VJ5 and can HONESTLY say that I feel SATISFIED!!!

The last piece of the "puzzle" came today...

Now I'm gonna immerse myself in studying my bass...I'm recommending that you do the same ;-)

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've generally only had temporary reliefs so far. I mostly don't have GAS anymore. I've got a pretty good example of everything I need.

Curently I have fretted and fretless Fender Jazz four strings, a Spector NS2a four string, a Lakland 55-02d five string, an NS Design WAV four string EUB, a Chapman Stick, A pro-quality SWR rig (Redhead into Triad) and a GK practice amp.

So I think I've got everything covered.

And I play more guitar than bass lately. So I got a horrible flareup of guitar GAS over the last few years. But now I think it's mostly under control. I would typically buy cheap-ish versions of what I wanted, then modify until they were what I wanted in the first place, but couldn't afford. I have a '88 or '89 MIJ Fender Strat that now has custom switching, GraphTech nut and saddles, locking tuners, and Lace Sensor p'ups. I've got an Epiphone Dot that the last owner cutomized (You could read that as vandalized.) the headstock to look like a Gibson from the front row. It's got Seymour Duncan P-Rails with Triple Shots. I've got a Fender Tele that I put a cut back bridge plate, custom Callaham Saddles, 'Brent Mason' p'up set, locking tuners, and custom electronics. And I've got a Hamer that I bought to mod and now I play that Tele so much that I'm not feeling the Hamer anymore. So I might sell it. For amps I had a Bedrock BC50 that hasn't been the same after a trip to the shop. And a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I'm considering getting an Omega mod on.

I play my Taylor 355ce 12-string more than anything else, but wanted something cheaper to take to the Folk Festival. So I got a Taylor 114ce.

Then there are the effects pedals for the electric guitars. For years I had one overdrive pedal and that was it. Really for decades. In the last five years because of TheGearPage.Net, I've gone from just my Sparkle Drive, to a Crybaby Wah > Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive > Microvibe > Sparkle Drive > Analog Chorus > TCE Flashback > RotoSim Leslie Emulator.

I guess the point of all this is: Web forums that focus on gear are hazardous to your bank account.

12. :eyebrow:

It's
    GEAR
    Aquisition Syndrome

On topic, I have had good results by giving in whenever possible. You know you want it, make it happen. It's better than gambling/heroin/hookers/*insert genuinely harmful addiction* IME you get to a point where you have a few nice, solid keepers & no longer chase the big-buck(basses and amps)items- and are satisfied w/a stompbox or oddball keyboard here and there. Fighting it only makes it worse...

13. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    There is no cure.

14. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    What helps for me is to go down to the root cause of the problem, which has to do with an OCD tendency with regard to anything I start researching. Bass tone is one such topic. I find that now that I have found the amps that produce the sound I want (Aguilar) and a range of tones I can do, I am quite happy. By the way I am just now buying the parts for a fretless budget build. That will be the last bass for me, and I have eight so far.

Redeeming factors: While, over the last three years, I have gone from one bass to the aforementioned number, I have sold three amps (keeping three) and also I have sold a couple of high-end guitars for a nice profit. Also, I am an engineer, so tinkering with the technology aspects always has been a factor.

15. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    This has worked for me a couple of times.

16. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I find that coveting gear I clearly can't afford has curbed my GAS.

For instance, I have convinced myself that there is no more perfect amp than the Orange AD200B... which is easily $1,000 out of my price range. My love for the rig has grown to such a point that I could never consider buying something between my current budget rig and that beautiful piece of brightly colored machinery. The side affect of this is a deep unsatisfied longing in my heart that may never be quenched... but at least I'm not as broke as I used to be.

17. I don't see harm in it if you have the funds...

18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I worked for someone a long time ago that told me when I wanted to buy something for the business, to "go lay down until the feeling goes away". In other words, don't rush it and consider it very carefully. I find that when I do that, I often come to the realization that I don't need that new bass, accessory or speaker.

I also try to dwell instead on how great the gear I have is.

Another rule I NOW have is that if I want another one of something I have, I have to sell one in exchange, and for around the same amount of $$.

As far as getting rid of GAS instead of just controlling it -- Can't be done!

19. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

My GAS has subsided since I found the gear that I want. Not high end, but it is a complete rig with a pair of basses that I love. Once you "find your sound" your gas will subside. Till then take a dose of the wife and a lack of extra income and that should help keep it under control.

20. 50hz

50hz

May 13, 2012
    Kirtland, Ohio
    thanks everyone, your advice is working so far