1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAS for a Bass You Don't Like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    In a slight offshoot of an earlier post, have you ever gassed for an instrument you don't like?

It know sounds a bit silly. I've always liked the look of a Jazz bass but have never felt comfortable on a Jazz width neck. When I see these beautiful pictures of Sadowskys, Valentis, SuperJs (my personal fav), and Fenders, I can't help but want one! I guess you could always get a P-sized neck put onto a Jazz style body.

What about you?

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    All the time :D My current GAS list of stuff I'd never really want -

Warrior
    Sadowsky
    Roscoe
    Warrior

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I guess what this shows is how talkbass marketing works. Someone has it, they love it, therefore you want it. Regardless of the fact you don't like that style or feel of bass. Completely ilogical but GAS knows no logic or limits or credit ratings or bank balances.....

Seriously though its very easy to get persuaded into liking something for no reason. Especially if there's a really big buzz around with everyone giving it the thumbs up. Just another one of those crazy music head games that we have to put up with as well as sonic placebos and using words to describe sound among many others.

If advertisement didn't work then companies wouldn't spend millions each year on it. When a group of people create a stir and start to love a new(or old) product on TB it acts much the same as advertising only its much more personal, interactive and tailered to the reader since this is an interactive forum. In fact its probably a marketeers wet dream

What if the general concensus on talkbass of a sadowky was over priced parts bass(and yes I we all know theres people who agree and disagree on this Im using an example and not starting a war) But overwhelming so yet still the same instrument would you still look so favourably on it?

4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Wow, theshadow's sig is oh so true:ninja:

I'm personally quasi-GASing for a Geddy Lee jazz. I love the simple-yet-fabulous look of the maple and black, but once I played one the flame died down quick. I didn't much care for the tone or feel of the bass (although that neck is something else!).

Sure, I could buy one and mod it, but who's got time for that anyways?;)

5. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    I want a Hofner. But they're kinda cheezy and awkward. I like their sound. Sounds like a bass.

6. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm really gassing for a Marcus miller jazz but i played one and couldn't for the life of me get a nice finger stylle tone. Bloody great slap but terrible finger
    And yet i want one as much as ever! Go figure

7. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    I had the same problem with the MMV. Doesn't sound too good. Played live, however, it sounds fantastic.

8. i despise Bongos, but for some reason.......im drawn to them........i dont get it either.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I get excited whenever a really pointy hair-metal bass shows up on ebay, and I click "Watch this item"... But would I ever actually play such a thing? No.

I had the same thing as the other guys about jazz basses, with all the talk here about them, even though I have always preferred more of a P or HB tone. I got over it for a while, but then somebody posted some videos of Larry Graham, and now I'm J-crazy again!

10. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I do the same thing! Anything that catches your eye goes in the old watchlist, knowing full well you'll never bid, and to tell the truth would want to sell it once you got it... which reminds me, I'd better start listing some of those things I shouldn't have bought. :meh:

Bongomania, nice avatar! You should post it full-size for us once!:D

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]
    :D :D :D

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yeah, I like the sound and look of a Jazz, it is always a neck sizing thing for me. I always try a bass acoustically first. If it feels good then I'll consider plugging it in.

13. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I concur on the jazz bass thing. I love that body shape, but hate the neck and they sound too thin for me (2 months ago i was saying a p is too thumpy but now i love it since i realized boosted mids is where a p shines, at least mine does). I want both the geddy and the jaguar but they have the same paper-thin neck and pickups. So why do i want them? They are beautiful! I guess i want them for cosmetic reasons. My ideal bass would be jag body w/ p or pj pickup configuration and a p neck, gotta keep dreamin'.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As much as i love Roscoes, I dont think they are really for me. Its not my tone.

15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    yamaha TRBJP, i always have gas for one but dont like how they play

16. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    +1 for me. Like the sound but not the looks!

17. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've tried so hard to like the Roscoe tone, but I just can't imagine ever using it on a gig.

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    It's funny, i'm EXACTLY like that with MMs. I really want one, but i don't know why. My Roscoe is my tone. :confused:

and it's EXTRA awesome live:bassist:

19. I have been playing 5 string basses for almost 20 years now but I've recently been drooling over a four string. I'm not sure how much I would use it but the Lakland DJ-4 looks so nice, especially the Lake Placid blue. I may have to sell one of my five stringers and get the DJ-4 to get over this GAS.

20. i've liked the look of rics since before i started playing, but they're not a good fit for me... i also liked the gibson eb-3 (cuz i like jack bruce) but once i played one - i was glad i got a fender...