Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gas for a Dano

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Sep 10, 2002.

1. I am getting GAS for a Danelectro longhorn bass.
    Or perhaps a Hodad.

Help.

Does anyone here have one? what's it like?

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    2 longhorns, 1 Hodad.

the Hodad is obviously the more versatile of the bunch, what with 3 p'ups & the rotary selector knob...and there are some really nice tones in there! The 'all-on' position is really nice. A little neck-divey though, so be warned. Very neck-heavy, actually, as I think most Dan's will be. Hollow body don't ya know...

The Longhorns are fun, being shortscale; guitarists seem to like playing these as the neck is a little easier on them. It too is somewhat neck-heavy.
    Good thumpy tones, the Lipstick P'ups do have their own distinct tones. The one thing I'm not crazy about on the Longhorn is that the upper bout isn't bevelled and this can be a little uncomfortable on your forearm during a long gig.

What would you be doing with them? World tours? Plunking around the living room?

I think they are great for the money. Nice retro-kitschy vibe, solid tones, decent construction. I've heard the strap buttons can pop out, you might want to superglue them in if you got one. Probably not the sturdiest bass out there either, what with the hollow body and all.

Any specific concerns you might have?

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    here's a Longhorn on the 'lead' tracks of these 2 bass tunes. Sloppy demo stage at the moment, but it let's you hear the Dan.

the other bass is a Dean 8.

sloppy funk
    funky slop

4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I had a hodad for a year or so. It was a great bass and I kinda wish I had kept it. Maybe I'll buy another one someday. Tones of tones in it for sure. It is very neck heavy though so I'd suggest a very clingy strap or something to weigh down the body somehow. I always rested my arm on the top curve which helped but it made slapping harder cause you can't really always do that. Other than that I would definetly recommend a Hodad.

5. You've been listening to Rudy over on the FDP now haven't you?? Hmmm?

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I've been keeping my eyes open for a hodad for over a year and I cant find them anywhere.

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    got my Hodad for a good price off ebay. They still pop up on there from time to time.

Tell ya what, if you see a DC in silverflake, let me know; if I see another Hodad, I'll let you know...

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

XUSH your on buddy. My radar is now lit for a silver flake longhorn.

9. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    They used to be all over ebay. Now I don't even see them in the search for items that have already ended. I don't know how far back those go.

10. He he! I have indeed.

But my Dano GAS goes back a long way. Rudy just awakened it.

11. I would enjoy the retro kitsch of the whole thing. Thoroughly!!

12. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
  13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    another Dano lover here. i play sometimes the Longhorn owned by a friend and it's a Deep sounding bass I love it!

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks, buddy! I'll watch for a Hodad.
    Make mine a DC model (as I've got 2 Longhorns already), and we're good!

The DC is 34" scale with the pickups further apart.
    [​IMG]

Now, if you're looking for a high-quality repro, Jerry Jones makes Dan-style basses that are very well constructed. Little more pricey, but good instruments. They turn up used now and then too.

But the Danelectro's are cool, cheap little sleepers!

15. Andy - get the pro series if you get a dano - they've got the steel bridge / upgraded tuners. I've got a blue longhorn (non-pro) that I'd love to gig out with but I have tuning problems if I don't baby the strings.

sweet tones though.

Xush - what strings did you have on the hodad? nice tone!

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I haven't restrung that Longhorn (haven't recorded the Hodad yet) for quite a while...can't recall exactly what they are. Probably Rotos. I keep that one strung with rounds, the other w/ flats.

It was running thru a POD pro on the Acoustic 360 setting, w/ a little reverb off the board. Both p'ups full on, if I recall correctly. It's been a while...

A Longhorn Pro model is a good recommendation, but I'm afraid they might be even harder to find than the regular LH. Good basses though. Hope I can find a DC to complete my Retro Dan reissue collection. There's one here locally, but the store is asking $399 for it! He did say he'd throw in a free set-up for me, and "ebay ain't agonna do that fer ya!"