1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS for a "new" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luckie, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    I'm looking to purchase my next bass. Thanks a lot GAS.
    But unlike the many basses I've bought in the past, I want to buy a new one.
    It's crazy that I've never bought a brand new bass, and I've really been wanting a bass that's all mine. No POs, no nicks or scratches, no floor models. Brand new, factory fresh, all mine.
    Anyone else have similar sentiments/ experiences?

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I've bought a few brand new basses over the years, it's a great feeling.
    If that's what is going to bring you joy then by all means go for it!

Cheers!

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Can't say that I have lusted for a 'brand new' bass. 90% of the basses I have bought over the years though (couple dozen) have literally been mint. I'm just super careful when I buy, and have never been disappointed.

4. My last 5 basses I have bought have been brand new. I like the feeling that noone else has played on them except me. Go for it. :smug:

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have bought 2 brand new basses in the last 20 years... and both were in the last year.

Both basses are MUNCHED conditionwise and I am GREAT with my basses!!!!!

My 2008 Fender P is scratched to hell on the back (it's black) and my 2008 Gibson TBird is starting to wear through the nitro where my right arm hits it.

Used IMO is the way to go unless you need a weird config.

IMO and IME, most basses you buy from TBers that are described properly might as well be new. Maybe "lower your sights" and look at "MINT"!

6. Timlr

Timlr

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1.. There are just so many good instruments and good deals on here that I would have a hard time going for something new unless I was really hankering for something weirdly specific. I've bought both new and used in the last couple years and my next few will (almost definitely) be used... unless I fall into some buckets of cash before the GAS is too strong, in which case I'd have no problem calling some shops and placing some orders.

Though I might go new on a the Squier VM fretless I'm GASing for just because the price difference is nearly negligible. :D

7. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I have bought lots of basses over the last 26 years and not a single one has been new.

8. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I don't buy new basses, amps, cabs, or cars, boats, guns, computers...hell I've taken to not even buying new clothes!

The "new" gouge eats at my miserly brain too much, especially when you can get such nice stuff that might as well be able to be called "new". My '08 Tbird Studio is mint, got it for a huge discount from new.