GAS for Builders

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by michaelwayneharwood, Jan 12, 2015.

1. michaelwayneharwood

michaelwayneharwood Builder of the Wastelands Commercial User

May 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Owner Melodious Resonance Constructs
    This may be a silly question, but... I have seen the GAS acronym quite often on the TB forums - is their an accepted acronym for builders that find themselves obsessing about building a new instrument, or acquiring wood, etc?

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I haven't seen one, but this syndrome is quite common it seems. In addition to the instruments I have in progress, I have wood sets and hardware for 3 acoustic guitars, 1 acoustic bass, 1 archtop guitar, 1 electric bass and 4 electric guitars.

SaintMez and michaelwayneharwood like this.
  3. We get it worse because of all the tools, jigs, raw materials and parts piles!

Plus when you can make/build it yourself, you can do it a lot cheaper, so it's not like you are wasting a lot of money.

reverendrally likes this.
  4. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    Plain old Obsessive Need...
    I used to have a word.
    um...
    Seething Motivation
    not quite what it was....
    I caught it for speaker cabinets, now I'm freaking swamped with them.

reverendrally likes this.
  5. I always think, if you do a good job and find down the track that you don't need it, you can always sell it on and get your money back. Done that with 2 projects so far. But yeah, I'm trying to rein in crazy ideas for things I'll never use more than a few times. I've half an idea to build a single PU blues guitar, a tenor guitar, another shortscale 5 string, some superlight P basses, another med scale 6 string... and I have hundreds of dollars of parts and timber waiting for a 6 string project that got stalled by idiots 2 years back... Hmm. No, coz I'm not hooked. :rollno:

Don't even me started on car related projects... turbo header, efi setup, oldschool racing seat, wood rimmed steering wheel, offroad racing buggy... etc. Oh man. :eek:

TheJoshinator and gmjhowe like this.
  6. TheJoshinator

TheJoshinator

Sep 23, 2012
    Building
    Addictive
    Stuff
    Syndrome.

:smug:

Means2nEnd likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021