Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS for Fender!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Guys,
    I'm still breathless:I've played a'66 Jazz(lake placid with matched headstock)yesterday.
    It was amazing.....no words....
    I'm seriously thinking to sell my Sadowsky and get a vintage Fender,and then install a preamp in it.
    I like my sadowsky a lot,but vintage Fender are something diferent from everithing else:first of all they have such a great playability,they are so fast!Then I love that neck,so narrow....
    It's a big GAS!!!!!
    Leo Fender must have been a genious!
    Noother bass in the world has that feeling,that huge sound....
    Fender is The electric bass.Stop.

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i completely agree on the fact that Leo Fender and his staff were illuminate people. for that bass be sure that if you will install the preamp not to damage or make changes that are not reversible. consider to add a outboard preamp instead. if you change that bass you'll make a graffiti on a precious icon and the resale value will go down. but let me know, just out of curiosity, where did you find such a beauty here in italy?

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi Marco,
    it wasGianfranco Gulloto's Fender.I met him at a stage in Lucca.He is agreat bassplayer,a great person,a great teacher.
    I supposed that someone would have told me to be carefull about customizing a Vintage bass.
    May be the outboard pre-amp would be a good choice.I would like to change the bridge too.
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Anyway,it's not sure that I'll realy get a fender....
    I would probably like;but first of all I would have to trade the sadowsky,and then I'll have to find a good Fender.
    I'll go to "Henrix Vintage Gutitars"shop in Lavagna:
    I'm very courious to see,try,feel how much a'60'sFender is be better than a'70's.If it is better.....

Do you know any other shop specialized in vintage?
    Thank you.
    Ciao;)

4. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    YOU WOULD NEVER GUESS HOW MUCH HE PAYED IT!!!!!!!!!
    He traded his Eko and added:

£ 200.000!!!!!!!!!!!!

(around 100$!!!!!!!!!!!!)

:eek: :eek: :eek: :( :(

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Go for it!
    I have played almost every bass out there and I alway's go back to my trusty old Fenders!
    They just feel right and sound the best!
    Ive said it before and I'll say it again!
    I tried the rest and always go back to the best (Fender)

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    where i live there is a sop called musicare that is a vintage oriented one. now they have an awesome '66 jazz, sunburst really scratched and faboulus souning, another shop is ganesh in milan. both shop can be full or empty of interesting instruments... you have to be lucky! i have never visited in person the hendrix guitar shop. all that i can say is that he has HIGH prices!!! and i have heard rumors that is not so honest. 4 or 5 times i have heard of people that sold to him not original intruments and he was not able to find the bug. i can't speak about this man all that i can say is that id prices are really high.
    ...mi sa tanto di ladro...

e se io ti proponessi il mio eko e 100 euri?!?!?:D

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    another thing about hendrix guitar

take a look at many of their pics: is it possible that they take pics of these precious and vintage instrument this way?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a '64 precision (they say that this is a '64 precision) on the rocks without any shelter or protection? come on....

and what about these
    Ada MP1GuitarPre Multieffect,Tube,12AXT,NEW AM942 € 670
    you can have it for half the price

E.Harmonix BIG MUFF Fuzz 0rig.'70,EX EF038 € 284
    i bought mine, same years original for half the price

those guys are crazy... and if they are crazy with effects they are even worse with instruments.
    i say: STAY AWAY!!!

:confused:

8. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi barroso,
    you are completly rirght!That P bass on the Roks is such a shame!!!!!!!
    I'm not very into the vintage market,so I can't judge very well if their prices are honest or not.
    So I thank you a lot for your warnings about Hendrix!!!
    Anyway,I think I will visit them just to try some Fenders:My goal is to understand the real differences between '60s and '70s J basses.In my life I've tryed a '76 and that Gullotto's '66:I remember I liked the'76 a lot too!!!!!!!But I just want to compare '60s and 70's J basses in the mean time.
    So this is why I think that a tour in Lavagna will be usefull,don't you agree?
    I'm gonna make a new spefic post about '60 vs 70's:I hope some talk bassers give me their opinions.
    Do you know the price of that '65 Fender in that shop "musicare" you mentioned??????

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Vintage Fenders can vary in quality. So try before you buy.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i agree, playing those basses you'll realize if you like tham or not. the price of that jazz bass in the shop near me is around 4 milioni if i remember correct. i am really interested in those kind of instruments but when i started years ago building instruments i honestly think that a great handmade bass can beat a vintage bass. that's my current opinion...;)

11. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thanks Marco,
    do you know the woods of that'65 J bass.
    I want a maple fingerboard.

12. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    No maple fingerboards in 65, A.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have seen that bans and it's rosewood. take a look here: www.accordo.it go in the section annunci on the right and do a search for basso. there is a '60s jazz on sale. try this link too: www.moreno-m.com now it's down and i dont know why but they use to have really nice gear, they are near milan.

ciao