1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GAS for GAS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mackluth, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Mackluth

Mackluth

Jun 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Ugh...I just added a Schroeder 210212L to my rig. I freaking love the Sound of my P bass into Eden WT300 through it. It's stupidly perfect. Now I'm finding myself scrambling to find something I want. I love my Bass, Amp, and Cab. What's a guy to do? I'm currently trying to convince myself that my Zoom B3 isn't cutting it and I need some more pedals. It's difficult...Yes I'm complaining about this! Anybody else struggle from the same affliction. I want something to want!!! :bassist:

2. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Get a cheap bass and hot rod it.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    If you are free of some of the symptoms of GAS, my recommendation is to try to satisfy you're GAS needs on the cheap. Buy some fairly well reviewed cheapo pedals, maybe mod a used budget bass like agent77 suggested, and try some different string types, setups and stuff like that.

All the money you don't spend on GAS can be funnelled into training materials or other concerns. This may result in more options when GAS returns in full force. Which it likely will :bag:

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Be happy.

I went through 50+ basses, 20+ amps and dozens of cabinets before I realized Modulus Quantums, a Mesa M9 and Bergantino cabinets nail what I am looking for 100%.

Effects IMO should only be used to nail certain tones (i.e. cover tunes) or somthing you want to incorporate into your own sound. A compressor and/or a chorus are used by many, but what else is REALLY needed by a bassist? Some distortion/overdrive maybe? An envelope filter for funk? beyond that, I don't advise buying effects just to spend $$$. I had quite a few effects and found most of them to be tone suckers and rarely used.

Jusm IMO, YMMV.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    That is cool.
    Next practice amp (maybe in a year or two) could be one of these :D)

Fair enough. If you want to get stuff but don't have particular goals, a few 'toy' pedals can't hurt. Might give you ideas. I agree a rig should sound great as-is. Still fun to play around.:bassist:

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Check out the Accessories section of the For Sale board. For example, a good strap can make your gigs a lot more pleasant. Training materials of course.

7. Yeah, I think so too.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Here's a silly idea...spend GAS money on lessons.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Throughout the all the years I have been playing there was always something that I was searching for. When I assembled my current system the search stopped. I read through the catalogues and there is nothing that I want or need. The only thing that I have changed in about the last ten years is to replace my Mackie FR1400 lead sled with a Carvin DCM1000L. The system sounds and feels the same but I can lift the rack case with two fingers.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Get a whole 'nother instrument.....seriously. I pick up my guitar or lapsteel every now and then and play it. Try to play it good. It'll take your mind, hands and ears in another direction, make you listen to things differently, plus it's fun. Learn to sing better, especially while playing. Take up fretless or upright if you haven't already (that stuff's hard). If you really want a challenge, get behind a drumkit and try to sustain something useful for 4 minutes.:)

After any of those things, pick up the bass again and BOOM, it's like coming home to Mom's apple pie. You'll love your stuff again and whatever it is will sound pretty darn good to you.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Over the last few years, I've let GAS get the better of me, and I'll tell you...sometimes I wish I had just left it at one bass and one amp and a couple choice effects. I'd have a lot more money to spend on other things, that's for sure. Love pedals, but most of them sit on a shelf unused these days, and currently I'm only using two, 4 at the most.

Lessons > GAS.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I haven't changed anything in my bass rig for several years now. Went through I don't know how many amps, cabs, pedals, etc. but have been 100% satisfied with what I play now. So, bought a couple of fairly inexpensive guitars, and more pedals, a little Blues Jr amp, 12 string acoustic, etc. Then, a couple of years ago, joined a band as a synth player. My synth GAS is incurable, but that's because I haven't been through every single piece of synth gear on the planet yet. Working on it, but my Bass GAS is definitely cured.