Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"GAS" for GK lol

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jul 20, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Is it possible to have "GAS" for an amp?? I've been thinking about getting a new amp and cabs so much, that last night I dreamt that my g/f bought me a GK 1001RB-II and some nice cabs. I've been thinking about this so badly that I've purposely avoided going to the local used music shop, where I know a mark II head is in decent used condition for $600 CDN. Thing is, I don't really need a new amp...my Hartke 3500 is doing fine, but I'm just dreaming of more power...more power...someone please tell me that I don't need this upgrade...

2. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    that ones is hard but

YOU DONT NEED MORE POWER
    YOU DONT NEED MORE POWER
    YOU DONT NEED TO UPGRADE
    ;)

actually you can get it if you want as long as the budget holds out, plus we all need more power!!!! i just bought a g/k head and the tone is amazing. or just have your girlfriend buy it for you!!!!! my girlfriend buys me strings and straps and locks like just becuase!!!! but she doesnt have to

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    To answer your opening question...an amp is considered gear, so yes, absolutely.

I played through an ex-band members Hartke 3500 many times and thought that thing was LOUD, so I really don't think you *NEED* more power. That amp should be able to handle any small/medium venue (plus it has a direct out for the larger gigs).

Tone? Well that's a different story altogether. I think the Hartke 3500 sounds good, but I like the sound of my GK 700RB-II much better. It's all subjective though. If you like the sound your already getting, I wouldn't bother.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    what Dave said.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if i were you, id go buy a gk.

but thats just cause i hate hartke.

6. Last week, I did exactly what you're talking about: I bought a 1001 RB-II with 2 Neo 112 cabs to replace my (what I thought was a fried-out) Hartke 5000 and 410xl and 115xl cabs. Turns out the amp works as long as you don't mess with the compression knob; then it gets all distorted.

Anyhow, I absolutely love the clean tone from this beast, so I would definitely say to go for it!

Jaosn

7. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    well, I caved...I am now the proud owner of a GK1001RB-II, a 410RBH and a 115RBH.

OMG. It is the stuff of wet dreams.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice, though I'm not personally a fan of the RBH cabs, you got yourself a very nice rig.

9. GK's are awesome, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MUCH BETTER then Harkey IMO.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey MG. Did you get your GK in yet? Is it everything you hoped for?

11. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Congrats and remember that ear plugs are cheap!

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yes..congrats. I'm sure you'll find your new setup is head and shoulders above a Hartke 3500.

13. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    rock on man! im ordering a GK Neo700-112 combo tomorrow from rmcaudio. eventually im gonna put another neo 12 under it for my hard rock project. i cant wait! its gonna be so portable and loud. :bassist: :hyper: GAS for everyone! :D

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the cabs are stuck together ? did you buy used ? :D

congrats man

15. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'm sorry for being really stupid.. but what does 'GAS' stand for? I know what it means, but what does it stand for?

16. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Almost all of my GAS is for amps/cabs/etc, and not os much basses.

17. I did, and its absolutly awesome! I'm in love with both the Head and the Avatar Kappa Pro 2x10. A pure tone box.
    I still can't get over the GK tone.... very grindy/growly. LOVE IT

thanks for askin. :)

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Good deal! It's a great feeling when a gear search actually turns out like you want it to.

19. congrats... you won't be disappointed

20. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Catch it!!!

:D

Joe.