Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS for new bass... Specifically one with active electronics...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hey everyone,
    I've been thinking about getting a new bass against my better judgement. Partly because I have the GAS for one, but more for the different sound. See, I have a Geddy Lee jazz and an American Series Jazz bass by Fender.

I was looking at the Lakland 44-01. I think it sounds really nice for the cost. Is there anything else in that price range with active electronics that any of you would sugguest? I'd like to stay away from Ibanez and Yamaha for the record. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    G&L Tribute L2000.

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    +1

5. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Isn't the Jazz Fender Deluxe like double that price range?

6. yes it is

7. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Someone should be able to answer the question. And damn if I have not slapped myself in the face for not spending the extra 80-100 bucks to get the active deluxe rather than the passive American series. But now I'm in a position to spend only around 600-700 dollars for an active. Oh well... I am happy with both jazz basses, but sometimes the guys in the band want to get a little more nuts then the sounds these basses offer.

8. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Maybe a used Peavey Cirrus?
    I think that's in the price range.

9. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ

+1
    L2000 gets my vote. Everytime i play one I think to myself how can i get the girlfriend to pay this month rent with out my share.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Don't assume that going active will give you more punch. My number one is a 2003 American Series Jazz, and it has way more balls than either active bass I've owned, including a gorgeous '99 Am. Dlx. Precision. (Maybe your rig is the issue if punch is a problem.)

If you really want to go active, maybe you should add a preamp to one of your J's, or get an outboard pre you could use with both. Lots of stuff on that over in the pickups forum. This would be cheaper than a new bass, and would almost certainly give you a better preamp than you'll get in a $600-700 instrument.

11. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    All good suggestions so far.

Let me add to the list the active versions of the MTD Kingston and the MTD Heir. I have an active Kingston (ash/maple) and I love it, it's one growly and punchy mofo. If you want more versatility, try out the Heir. It has a MM/J pickup configuration. Plus Mike Tobias has always responded to my emails quickly and completely stands behind all of his products, even his import line. Mike is truly one of the best in the biz.

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    You really seem to love the J's (showing good taste, IMHO), so I'd say this...

If you want a J, but also want active elex, then +1 on the Deluxe J. I've played some of these, and even the MIM's play and sound great to me. Thing is, as with most MIM's, play before you buy... make sure you get a "good" one.

If you want some variety, then I vote for the Lakland Skyline... in particular, the 02 if you can find a good deal on one. I love that unique Lakland vibe. Otherwise, the 01's are also GREAT basses.

13. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    If it were me, I'd leave the Geddy alone and drop a J-Retro into the American Jazz.

Bones

14. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I have had a headache all day because ever since I picked up that 44-01 in the store, I fell in love with it, and now the Fender American seems big and clunky in comparison.

If I were to take the plunge and get a 44-01 or 44-02, do any of you know how I could make at least 800 dollars back on the Fender because it seems like they are not going for much on eBay? I JUST bought the thing two months ago. Either that, or try and talk me out of it. :):) Like a lot of people here, I'm sure I don't need a new bass, but it sure felt more like an extension of myself then any other bass I've picked up.

Damn, I need help.

15. +1. Yup