1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS Free and it feels so good

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IngloriousOz, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Totally happy with my bass rig forever

2. Never going to stop buying gear - the quest never ends

3. Trying to stop buying gear but it's too difficult

4. Going to sell everything

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Since I don't do social media, I'm here to honestly say out loud that after almost 10 years of compulsively checking the classifieds, eBay, and Reverb almost every waking hour for the next thing that would get me "my tone" or "that sound" that I am finally GAS free and it feels f***ing awesome.

It wasn't cheap or easy...pretty painful at points dealing with builds, bad sellers, shipping companies, girls who couldn't believe that pickups and preamps were more interesting than them, etc + all of the other trial(s) by fire along the way. I finally have the bass, board, amp, cables, strings and everything else to get the perfect sounds I've always wanted. Looking forward to spending more time playing than shopping, jonesin' and flipping!

For me-the biggest steps were committing to have one bass, one board and one amp setup with a backup bass+amp at most. Using custom cut pain-in-the-butt patch cables forced me to stick to a setup and see it through. Rather than having a studio full of variety I set out to trim the fat and have the best possible rig.

Would love to hear from folks who have finally reached GAS nirvana as well and how they got there+what got them there and from folks who are working their way to that goal.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I voted for never going to stop. That being saud, I usually sell when I buy. I just have gear ADD. I like to try new things..... but not in the annoying guitar shops. I like to try them at my house and in stages. I pretty much have three stages worthy rigs and a practice amp at any given time. I keep two nice basses and a few nice enough basses. But I'm never done buying and selling.

That being said, I like everything I have right now. But that doesn't mean something won't go on the chopping block soon.

3. IngloriousOz

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I've been in that same boat for the most part the last few years, I was just spending way too much time looking for gear and losing money just chasing it and not enough time actually playing.

Matthew Barrack likes this.
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I love my setup right now. Seriously. It sounds works and plays awesomely. I've never been as happy with my rig and tone as I am right now.

Saying that though, I can't say I'll never flip and buy or trade and try new things. I can't say that right now for sure. 2 yrs from now? Who knows. It's just that thing me saying "well what if??"....you never know what may or may not be an magic ingredient for you. Or rather me. There's still way too mant things I want to get and I'm either not discipline enough save/wait or just plain can't afford (more times than not it's the first one) what those things are.

But in the meantime, I'm overly happy with where I'm at right now :)

hintz and IngloriousOz like this.
  5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    When I was able to get back into playing an actual bass, instead of playing lines in my head, I decided to invest in gear that is so good that I couldn't blame it for me not sounding good. I did not divorce my wife because I wanted bass gear (LONG, sad, involved story), but one of her functions, it seems was to always spend more money than was coming in. Gear-wise, I'm totally there since last year when I sold one bass to finance a second tube amp build. Three basses that are as close as possible to perfection (for me), two nice rigs, a headphone rig, and no need to look for anything else. I'm good. :cool:

IngloriousOz likes this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I haven't bought any gear with the intentions of keeping it for some time now. I have too many basses, 2 fantastic cabs, and a great head. Admittedly, I have tried to de-throne the head but nothing made me want to toss my SD800... yet. I may get a new bass sometime down the road but I've been on the fence about a custom build for so long I'll probably never go through with it. There are a couple of upgrades I would like my #1 to have that would require a total re-build, such as truss access and quartersawn neck, but I don't know if I would ever bother, they are minor things really.

My number one is my Jaco Artist fretless but I have a respectable stable aside from that, my beater is a Stingray. I run it through my Markbass SD800 and a fEARful 1212/6 on stage but I have an Epifani 3x10 at home that I adore as well, neither cab will go anywhere anytime soon. I suppose my pedals might change but I have a great comp (Diamond BCP-1), great dirt (B3k), and a reliable tuner so I don't really need anything else. I do have an F-Deck HPF that I have taken a liking too as well but my board only fits 3 pedals, I haven't decided what has to go yet but it will probably be the dirt. I really have no serious wants for gear. I mean, I might buy something new to try it but I have zero intentions of keeping it.

IngloriousOz likes this.
  7. IngloriousOz

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Glad you're getting there man!

8. IngloriousOz

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sounds like you've got the right idea brother, what are you using and what are you having built?

9. IngloriousOz

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Appreciate you sharing! Is your Jaco the custom shop?

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  10. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The bass that has been with me the longest is my '09 Dingwall Super J:

p4NAKXb.

My favorite five-string ever:

aRjNqcw.

My favorite precision:

Z584yAH.

Reeves Custom 225 and MAS 110 Flex:

5ICTQiP.

I sold this:

6Wq2y3x.

To fund one of Kevin Shaw's B-150 amplifiers. It is, in essence, a 150 watt B-15 with a six-position mid-emphasis switch:

uNRvkxh.

My headphone rig is a Cafe Walter with PJB cans (no pic at this point).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  11. IngloriousOz

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Beautiful setup and basses man. I'm sure those Dingwalls are incredible with the 225!

guitarflinger and spiritbass like this.
  12. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    They are! :bassist:

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

No, I had one for a while and it was leaps and bounds the better bass. The tone was straight up singing and the thing played liked butter. It was too rich for my blood though, I was not comfortable taking it to gigs. Heck, the thing cost more than my car! I ended up selling it and doing some mods to my Artist to make it similar to the Relic, the first thing was to remove the neck finish. I even went a little further to make it more "me," I went to modern-turning Hipshot ultralite tuners with an Xtender and humbuckers.

IngloriousOz likes this.
  14. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    This is a good description of what I do. While I'd love to own lots of gear, time, space and money influence what I can and cannot buy. I make it a point to sell if I buy. I try to pay the least out of pocket if possible.

GAS is fun and bad at the same time. I love being able to experience different pieces of equipment. I only resumed TB usage in July of last year after signing up and promptly leaving in 2008, but when I did get back in, GAS hit hard. Didn't know about it and I didn't know what I was missing. Over the past eight months, I've bought and sold MarkBass, GK, Fender, G&L... None of these things I'd ever thought I'd get to try, ever (Alaska is extremely isolated).

So, within reason, GAS can be fun. While I'm very happy with a P bass and an L-2000 through a decent 210, I'm sure I'll keep upgrading stuff. Just need to remember buying better doesn't make you play better, is all. ;)

IngloriousOz and Felix1776 like this.
  15. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm only 24. There's still a whole world of bass gear out there I haven't tried....

I'm never stopping.

IngloriousOz, JJR58 and brendanbassix like this.
  16. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    For the first time.. I don't think I want to buy or switch out any of my gear. I came to that realization last night. I even tried looking at gear to encourage GAS, but nothing.

There is only one thing I would add.. a Dingwall Super P5 with jazz width neck.

IngloriousOz likes this.
  17. Not GAS free yet, but with a recent purchase, I may have quelled it long enough to spend more time with roommates/gf instead of sitting on a computer looking at gear. Or I can just spend all that free time playing with my new gear instead :bassist:

IngloriousOz likes this.
  18. timocharis

timocharis

Oct 29, 2015
    Couldn't vote. My situation is 'not planning to get anything but you never know.' Went a long time -- decades -- then got something. Might be decades again, if I last that long.

static0verdrive and IngloriousOz like this.
  19. That's how I felt, but then I thought about a whole world of student loan debt that I have at the age of 24... and voted that I'm trying to stop but it's too hard haha. Do you know how many guitars I could buy with all that loan money?!

IngloriousOz likes this.
  20. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I have no loans and a killer job. Sky's the limit!

IngloriousOz and JJR58 like this.