GAS!!! GAS!!! GAS!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrettAM, Sep 29, 2002.

1. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Just a opinion:

I don´t know why people spend such amount of money like $3000 or more in a single instrument, with a little more you can buy a good car´, and I know you can get a terrific sounding bass for less than $2000.

I´m just a University student, and don´t have that "KIND" of money, but even if I have it, I would spend it on a car, a trip to europe, whatever, but never on a bass that will make me a paranoid every time I bring that "jewel" to a gig.

I love playing bass, and I´m always trying to improve the way I sound, in other words, my gear, but that´s ridiculous(sp?)!!!!!!

(let the trankill begin)
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i don't live to far away from there. infact my aunt lives right around the corner. i guess i am going to make a trip up there to try a few out

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm a college student too, but I think spending that kind of money on a bass is totally justified if that's what you want to do. I've spent over 4000 dollars on basses in the last month and I don't regret it one bit (and yes I work for my money). Im not paranoid about using my 2000+ dollar basses at all either. Would you be worried about driving your car that you just paid that much for?

All I am saying is that there are people who think spending that much is justified (including me) and whether people agree or disagree, that is alright with me as long as other people don't try to impose their views on others as being "correct"...
  4. Sure there are terrific sounding basses for under $2000.

Which $3000+ basses have you played and why don't you think that they are worth the money? I am truly curious, because most people who make these comments often do not have a reason, and I would like to know some.

5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, dunno about that Mark King Sig, but that Rogue is whole another matter! *drool*
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    God, you silly people, dont you knwo that any bass above 200 dollors is crap? their are GREAT basses for under 200 dollors, the kramer focus bass, for one. heck, you maybe could even get a ROUGE. no joke.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    If you go to Alembic's site and browse the custom section, a lot of the basses people have made are well over $10,000. Most of the people who spend that much on a single instrument have a LOT more money where that came from, so it's not a big deal to them.

And hey, three grand is cheap compared to a Stradivarius.
  8. Yea, I could spend 20k easy on an alembic series II custom. I really like the fantasy/nature vibe, that's why I like Warrior as well-it's like their basses have a theme and a story behind them. My one beef is how expensive wood upgrades are-a thousand dollars for a 5A quilt top? That seems a little off the wall, and for an Inlay to cost more than most boutique basses is wrong, no matter how beautiful. But I still love them!
  9. I really don't like any of the body styles other than the omega/standard point and derivatives of that-I just don't get that "Whoa" vibe from the other styles.
  10. When I was in college I played a used P Bass I payed $150.00 for. Back in those days $150.00 would probably be like say $600.00 now. That was all I could efford and I made a lot of music and money with it. Now I'm 52 and my wife and I do alright. I still play almost every weekend but the money I make playing goes mostly to buy new basses.

Live Right, Exercise, DIE ANYWAY.
  11. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'm in the sme situation as you, and I agree somewhat, and disagree somewhat.

I do agree that with a few thousand dollars you could buy a lot off different things you realy want, and put it towards something you really want.

On the other hand, if I had all sorts of money with nothing to spend it on, I sure might go for a really expensive bass. I mean, image if you already had a car you like, paid off all your bills, had your allowance/spending money, and still had a crap load of money in the bank, 3000 or so may not seem like too much to spend. I think it's really based on your income/bank account status. If you have all the money to spend, why not go for it? If you're on a limited budget (like so many of use are) You look for a great bass for a low price.

Two ends of the spectrum