1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS got he best of me. Trigger pulled.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassbubble11, May 21, 2012.

1. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Nice. Congrats on the Pisces P. It's a nice looking bass and Douglas is supposed to be a step up from SX (I own two SXs and love'em) so this should be a nice bass for you.

Will there be enough meat on the HS after the string tree, to get that "hump" of the Tele-style HS you're looking for? Be careful about making the HS too narrow...it might snap. Just a thought! Good luck and be sure to post pics.

2. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I've seen them, but never touched one.

I like the look, and would be stoked to give one a try.
    I think the Tele headstock would be pretty cool on it.

3. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    It's a lot like the Classic Vibe 50's P.
    (that one already has the Tele style headstock)

4. I have to wait and see. I don't think I will be able to get it exactly like the above design but close enough.

Here is a six string version that someone did over at the Agile Guitar Forum. I am hoping to doing something similar.

SXTeleHeadMod2.jpg
    Note: (Fender tele headstock shown at bottom)

5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Just as a heads up, I seem to remember some posters having issues with Buzzard's Bass, so you may want to research them a bit before ordering from them

6. I have never ordered from them myself. Thanks for the heads up.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    please don't put a Fender decal on it,... thank-you!!!!:)

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Looks do-able to me. Very pretty bass nonetheless!

9. Nice looking bass. I've considered them as a cost effective 51 p bass option.

10. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Good choice on both the mods and the modding platform. I had a Pisces modded with a Tele headstock and T-Bird p'ups..A great bass I wish I would have kept..
    DSC00321.JPG

11. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I've not had any personal dealings with BuzzardBass but have read on these forums to stay away. YMMV. Just as a heads up, here are a couple of other parts places, just in case you don't know about them.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/ (have ordered from them, no issues, but they can be pricey)
    http://guitarpartsresource.com/middle_bass.htm (ordered from them about 6x, no issues)

Glad to see you've thought out the HS mod. It looks doable and I hope it works for you. The new HS SX/Brice basses are fugly (the HS is)...it's been discussed ad infinitum in the SX threads...I might still buy a new SX yet, just b/c of the positive experiences I've had w/the two I own. Good luck. Post pics. No pics, no bass!!!! ;)

12. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I like it!

13. surfaday

surfaday

May 15, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR
    Good purchase! Anxious to see the woodworking project. Too bad they just don't sell it with a big slab for a headstock so it can be custom shaped by the buyer. I love my SX.

14. @ pacojas. I can do that? LOL.

@ mikeddd. Maybe I'll just avoid BuzzardBass and save myself possible grief.
    I have used guitar/bass parts resource a bunch of times and they are great. I
    will check out the other link you posted (thanks).

I too wish Rondo would do something about the headstocks. I was lucky to get
    my hands on an SX Jazz bass when they still had the fender-y headstocks awhile
    back.

I'm looking forward to messing with it. I recently modded a MIJ noname JB I
    got from a friend on another forum. I refinished the HS on it and learned a
    couple things. I want to try some other finish idea's I have read about on various
    forums. The reshape should be a challange. I haven't done any woodworking since
    HS. Looking forward to it. Thank god for cheap bass.

15. Deef

Deef

Sep 28, 2011
    Cork - Ireland
    Pretty nice looking bass. Be a pain to get it shipped to Ireland, though :p

16. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

17. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

It will be here when you want it.

18. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    I’ve dealt with Brian at Buzzard Bass several times and have had him do some modifications. I found him to be quit amusing. Some might find him obnoxious but I think he does not translate well with email. Brian has come through for me every time I had dealt with him. Email him and tell him what you plan to do and he will give you some sugestions.