1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gas grill lid paint peeling

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crikker, Dec 25, 2011.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    The grill is an older model from '05ish. I really cooked the heck out of some brats about a month ago. When the flames died down, the paint(?) inside the lid was peeling. It's doing the same on the outside of the lid at the seam between the lid and the bottom where the flames were bailing out. I scraped some off of the inside and can see the aluminum underneath. I sure can't remember what it looked like in there when we got it. From what I've found online, it seems most answers say it's built up soot and grease. Is it? If not, can I scrape it down then paint it and if so, with what?

2. Unless you are worried about aesthetics, it'll be fine. Well, as long as it is aluminium, which doesn't corrode (well, nowhere the speed you would get with steel).

3. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Any hardware store would sell the high heat (grill safe) black spray pain. Use a good degreaser. I've had my grill for 15 years and it looks new. Paid a bundle but it's been more than worth it.