1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(GAS) Help Me decide

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, May 11, 2006.

1. Sell the Stingray and Classic 60's and buy the Metro, you'll be better off.

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Keep the Stingray and the Classic 60's, the Metro isnt going to fill the void

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Hey!
    I need your help to decide on something if you would.

I was a one bass man until about 2 years ago.
    Right now, I have 4.

Fender Jazz Classic 60's (MIM) - Very decent bass, fell in love with it as soon as I heard it, my cheapest bass, first "REAL" bass...

Stingray - Slap beast, REALLY grew on me, Unique sound, "cheap" purchase...

Esh Stinger V - My teacher's old bass, only 5 stringer I have, Moonspell "memorabilia", dont want to part with it...

Rickenbacker - a landmark of bass history, unique sound, "cheap" purchase, long term investment, dont want to part with it...

because of PRIORITIES in life, the money doesnt stretch and I have decided to stay on 4 basses or even go down to 3 and let it stay at that. cant justify having more basses.

thing is, a friend is offering up a Sadowsky Metro 4 w/ vintage tone switch in MINT condition. Sweet Sweet bass.

Now, because of my bass family's limits, Im thinking of either:

IGNORING the sale of the Metro.

or

Selling my Stingray and my Jazz bass to help fund the Sadowsky and open up some room in the bass family.

I think the Metro will fill the Jazz bass role very nicely, and since in active its also got a very good slap tone, it might replace those 2 basses pretty well...

:help: WHat would you do?

Simply buying the Metro and Keeping the others is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    If you sell two basses and buy the Sadowsky, you might miss the other basses. Only you know the emotional value those basses carry to you.

Basswise, I think you'll be fine with the Sadowsky. BUT, if you decide to not get it, you'll get over it. They are still being made if you decide to go for one at another time. Helpful? Probably not :)

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    I say wait a while. Ditch the Mexijazz and either get a MIA jazz or the Sadowsky later when you have funds.

4. Thing is, Both the Stingray and the classic 60's are a little flawed in my opinion.

I love the slap tone of the Stingray, but I'm not crazy about its fingerstyle tone, and I love the Fingerstyle sound of the classic 60s but it lacks in slap tone...

the Metro seems to me to be way more balanced. If I could have a GOOD all-rounder bass, I'd be happy I think, and wouldnt miss the Stingray or the Classic 60's... but I wonder, how much of this is the GAS talkin?

5. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the GAS is ALWAYS talking, mang.

it's a tough one... i'd probably wait, if it were me. but i might just say **** it. and get the sadowsky. i'm not helping, am i?

go with your gut. two is usually better than one. unless it's a TRUE two-in-one type thing.

i'm REALLY not helping....

sorry.

6. I'd say that you raise funds and buy the Sadowsky later, without selling any basses. Then you can decide if you want to sell anyone or just have 5 basses, cause 5 isn't that many...

7. I voted to keep the current basses. You sell 'em, you'll probably never see them again. If you keep them, there is still every chance you'll get yourself a Sadowsky in the future.

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    unless you would sell them to me for about $200 a piece.. I'd keep them.. you have 2 really nice basses.

9. Thing is, 2nd hand sadowskies dont come along often in portugal, and when they do, they're bloody expensive.

Another thing is, IM planning on buying a house soon, so, Im going to even out my arsenal and only keep what I really need. Cant keep buying stuff. Its time to save.

10. Well why didn't you say so??

11. He did at the start :)

I voted keep em !!

12. He didn't mention about buying a house though. It's different from from buying anything else like a car or something.

13. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, saving for a house really requires every spare penny go toward the house. I'm in the same boat where I'm GASsing heavily for a dual pickup Stingray 5 with honey finish, maple fretboard & matching headstock, but, with a wife & 16 month old son my 2 bedroom condo feels smaller every day.

Basically, if I spend cash on a bass, that's less cash saved up to buy a house. It's tough at times, but the thought of more space and the fact that Stingray 5's will still be available after I buy my house and actually have room for it keeps me from going off the deep end. I think, anyway. :) To paraphrase Axl "That GAS is a real mutha*****, gonna kick him on down the line" :help:

14. I understand what you're saying. I don't have a family but I do have a mortgage.

15. Exactamundo.

16. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    buy a strat

17. :eyebrow: You Must be possessed... Off with you gui****! :D I love my 4 Strings.