1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS help! Talk me down...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hhirbe, Jul 3, 2014.

1. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    My wife is going to kill me if I can't pull it together. I'm a pretty solid, passive pbass guy, but my local music shop just got in an Ibanez ATK200 that I sat down with yesterday on a whim. I didn't plug it in, but just a passing 10 minute session while shooting the breeze with my friend behind counter damn near convinced me of what I've been gathering from this basses fans here. That neck felt SO comfy I melted right into it. Its only 300, and maybe less with the good buddy discount...

Talk me down before my wife buries me with another bass!

2. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Can't play anything when you are 6 feet underground!!!!

fourstringdrums likes this.
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Sorry man, cant do it.
    GAS is one of those things that, if you don't give into, just gets worse. IMO.
    Maybe soften the blow with the promise of new shoes for her..

Solarmist and KingKrabb like this.
  4. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    I know the feeling, man. I just got paid some money I was owed, and IMMEDIATELY I start looking at new basses.

I'm giving it a few days and balancing my budget, what with bills and all. But, knowing myself, I'll probably post a NBD thread soon. :(

hhirbe and tangentmusic like this.
  5. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    take her to the shoe store first, then "stop by" to show her the pretty piece.....

Remyd, AGH and tangentmusic like this.

6. It's simple. Do one of two things.

(1.) Slowly "sneak" it into your collection.

(2.) Or, simply rule with an iron fist, and tell her what's up.

7. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Oh, man. The iron fist technique is almost certainly to hasten my ultimate demise.

She's actually a very cool and understanding lady, and puts up with my crazy work, gig and practice schedule sh*t with incredible composure (she married a musician after all).

I'm also feeling the oncoming need to replace my slowly deteriorating gig mobile within the next year or so. But that bass is right there, right now, so pretty and lonely...

tangentmusic likes this.
  8. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    GAS Satan here. Gee, those ATK's are nice. And you said the neck feels just right? Under 300 beans is a good deal. Adding another sound to your arsenal could be fun....

huckleberry1 and audreycashin like this.
  9. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Actually, yeah, Didn't notice the "Under 300 thing".

...get it. Hahahah

AGH likes this.
  10. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not gonna help here but.... Not every bass is right for every musician. Sounds like this one is right.....

11. Thankfully marriage is one of those planks I haven't walked off of yet. Just surprise her with dinner somewhere nice or offer to take her shopping. And, as your sig other, she should appreciate your passion for music rather than summoning guilt and scolding you. Between my mother and women who just didn't get it, I got enough of that poopie. Do you drop ridiculous sums of Fed. Reserve Notes on a regular basis for your gear or make a few careful purchases a year? One thing I've noticed with my married friends is that when it comes to the wife wanting to spend money, she uses the first-person, plural possessive pronoun "ours" to refer to the expenditure; but when the husband wants to spring for something and she objects, "ours" becomes "mine."

12. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Maybe I need to translate GAS into "get away Satan".

AGH and audreycashin like this.
  13. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Can't help. I've got my eye on something and my wife's birthday is next Tues.

14. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Stay strong brother, or I'll see you on the other side.

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    atk's fantastic get it go back and play it again through a good rig i've always said those are stellar basses

16. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Let's move this over to a NBD post, shall we?

audreycashin and AGH like this.
  17. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    Knew you'd listen to reason....:laugh:

audreycashin likes this.
  18. It took a whole 5 hours? :D There are a lot of happy ATK owners here - hope you like it, and congrats on NBD! :thumbsup:

19. let me buy the bass?

20. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Pfffft ..... :oops:I'm trying to talk myself down from buying a 55-14 ... and the insidious part is .. in the back of my mind I keep hearing this voice going.. "Why not just get the 55-02? It's a lot cheaper man.... " :whistle: ....... so I'd be no help whatsoever.. :eek:

Like the crack head trying to talk down the alcoholic in the bar next to the crack den.. :angel: