1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GAS "I got it bad and that ain't good (G-Benz 212 content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, Oct 4, 2008.

1. :rollno:I gotta stop spending like there's no tomorrow!!!!! Just dropped my Marshall 410 off for warranty work (blown speaker:() and was out looking around for some 212 cabs. I needed a 4 ohm cab that would handle 300-450 watts as per my MB450h head.

As I didn't like the sound of the matching Marshall single 15" that matches my rig, I 212 set up that would give the the lows of a 15, and the punch of a 10. My final choices came down to the MIA Ampeg pb212h and the MIA Genz Benz neoX 212T. Unfortunately, as these two cabs were located at different shops (of course!), only the store with the GB carried my Marshall head that I played thru. The store with the Ampeg, had me playing thru a Mesa tube preamp head (Fathom something??) as its "equivalent". Since I didn't BYOB, I sampled a "passive" 4 string jazz, and an "active" 5 stringer to represent my basses.

My take:

Ampeg: 1) "final offer" price of $625cdn (before tax). Stickered at $799. (Not too bad...) 2) Nice lightweight cab. It must have neo drivers as well. 3) 400 watts rms @ 4 ohms 4) Odd radiused side profile. It would make balancing another cab or head on top careful consideration IMO! 5) Built in / detachable luggage style handle with casters. (A nice touch!) 6) Nice full, fat sound

Genz Benz 1) "final offer" price of $552cdn (with 35% discount:eek::hyper: but before taxes). Stickered at $849.99 (My thoughts exactly!) 2) Im not a really a big guy, but I can pick this cab up with ONE HAND! 3) 600 watts rms @ 4ohms 4) Your "standard" rectangle cab shape. Built in wheels and side/corner handles. 5) Amazing sound, lightweight plywood construction, cool "pants flapping" x-bass porting.

What did I do? Check out the pic as my new Genz Benz sits in my truck for my gig tonight at a 2+ story walk-up. I hope I's dun good!

:bassist:

2. Just texting in live from my.1st gig with my new GB rig. Wow!

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    congrats. i've heard nothing but good things for the neo 2x12. you should be very very happy.

4. I was considering getting one of those - but how in the world did you get 35% off the regular price?!! Lowest I could possibly find is 20% off, so around $650 USD.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Nice score! I read somewhere that laying a cab on it's back can damage the drivers' voice coils. Can anyone confirm or deny?

6. Here's my entire rig. I can now squeeze all 450 watts out of my Marshall head.:p

This cab was marked as a "clearance" item. Sticker was $849.99 and already had a 25% off price. He threw in the extra dime due to customer loyalty as I purchased my Marshall head and cab 6 months ago.

7. pbass62

pbass62

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    Congrats. I have had nothing but positive results and compliments with my Neox212. Genz Benz Stands by their products.